Links to other pages do not always load first time, but do on refresh.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tungsten
    • Jan 2002
    • 3.0.0 Beta 7

Links to other pages do not always load first time, but do on refresh.

The following problem is fairly frequent on my two forums that I host on the same server.

Problem: Links to other pages (threads, faq, index, etc.) within the vBulletin installations on both communities sometimes do not load on the first click. The user clicks the link and they are taken to a blank page. If the user refreshes the browser session, the page always loads.

There does not seem to be a common denominator underlying this problem. It happens at random and to users with MSIE and Firefox. It happens to me fairly frequently because when I am on these communities, I am moving around quite a bit.

Server: The server is a Windows Server 2003 installation running PHP 4.4.0 and MySQL 4.0.24 with a SQL packet size of 16MB. Magic quotes are turned off in PHP and GZIP is not enabled.

I can post my full PHP config and MySQL config if necessary for troubleshooting, but I prefer not to do that if I can avoid it. The less about my server posted, the better for security in my mind.

Can anyone tell me what I need to look at to resolve this problem? I am on the verge of backing up all of my data and converting this box to Fedora Core 6 instead of Windows. But if I can avoid that for the time being, it would be better.

I do have full control and ownership of the server and host it on my own backbone. Any infrastructure changes that might need to be made could be done easily.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

• Tungsten
    • Jan 2002
    • 3.0.0 Beta 7

Anyone?

Comment

• peterska2
      • Oct 2003
      • 3.7.x

There is some information in the manual here which explains a number of reasons why blank pages may appear.

Comment

• Paul M
        Former Lead Developer
        vB.Com & vB.Org
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Tungsten
        I am on the verge of backing up all of my data and converting this box to Fedora Core 6 instead of Windows. But if I can avoid that for the time being, it would be better.
        There would be little point in doing that unless you have proof that Windows is the problem. BTW, you didn't say if you are running IIS or Apache.
        Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• Tungsten
          • Jan 2002
          • 3.0.0 Beta 7

Originally posted by Paul M
          There would be little point in doing that unless you have proof that Windows is the problem. BTW, you didn't say if you are running IIS or Apache.
          Running IIS. Sorry, wasnt paying attention and typed Apache a moment ago. DOH!
          Last edited by Tungsten; Tue 23 Jan '07, 10:11am.

Comment

• Tungsten
            • Jan 2002
            • 3.0.0 Beta 7

Originally posted by Kerry-Anne
            There is some information in the manual here which explains a number of reasons why blank pages may appear.
            http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/main/blank_pages
            Thanks for the link. I had already read that, and most of it doesn't apply and the few things that do now, did not apply initially. Things like add-ons, for example, were not present when this problem started. Just a plain vanilla installation of vBulletin.

Comment

• Tungsten
              • Jan 2002
              • 3.0.0 Beta 7

Any other suggestions?

Comment

• Tungsten
                • Jan 2002
                • 3.0.0 Beta 7

Am I to assume that Jelsoft isn't going to be of much assistance on this issue?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  Former Customer Support Manager
                  • Jul 2000

We provided a link to ALL the known causes of white pages. If it is not one of those, then this is something we've never seen before. Have you really gone through everything on that page?
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Tungsten
                    • Jan 2002
                    • 3.0.0 Beta 7

Yes, I have.

I've also upgraded my server to PHP 4.4.4 and MySQL 4.1.22 and while the problem seems to be occurring a little less frequently, it's still occurring.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      Former Customer Support Manager
                      • Jul 2000

If it's random and not reproducible, then this is either a server or Internet connection issue.
                      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Tungsten
                        • Jan 2002
                        • 3.0.0 Beta 7

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                        If it's random and not reproducible, then this is either a server or Internet connection issue.
                        Well I'm on the same network segment as the server when this happens so I doubt it's a connection issue. It also happens for remote users too, of course.

Server issue... maybe. That's why I was thinking about moving over to a Linux OS instead of Windows. Seems that most folks running larger forums run on a Linux host.

I'll keep plugging away at this and if I find a fix or cause, I'll report back.

Comment

• pheadland
                          • Feb 2007
                          • 3.6.x

Me too!

I am seeing the same issue. Random pages show up blank, reload brings up the page correctly (which eliminates pretty-much all the "known issues" at a stroke).

Comment

• pheadland
                            • Feb 2007
                            • 3.6.x

Addendum

I have tried all the remedies in the manual, but I still get random blank pages with no PHP errors. This system is meant to go live next week, but I don't think I can put it up while it has this problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to debug this further?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...