• Show
Clear All
  • littlematts
    • Jan 2007
    • 3.6.x

How to Restrict Font Size??!

Hia buddys,

Thank you for popping in..

The big font size is pushing me to delemma. Many are misusing the font size option to post bigger size fonts which i feel kinda odd.

Countermeasure by restricting the font size drop down list (In style) wont help coz if the user edited the size value manually then it will get displayed in bigger size.

Making [size] tag non parsable will make the old threads look odd with [size] tag code getting displayed. so i think i need to implement the same to new threads that are posted.

Only countermeasure i find is removing the size selection tab from vbulletin edit menu and adding a filter to check for size tag and removing it from code with blank space.

Could anyone help me out with details where i should edit to remove the size selection tab from advanced edit menu..

or is there any alternative method i could adopt to get the things done?

a word of reply is greatly appreciated..

regards
    Matthew
  • peterska2
    • Oct 2003
    • 3.7.x

vBulletin Options > vBulletin Options > BB Code Settings

Deselect the Size BB Code checkbox and save it. This will stop the size bb code from being used.

It stops it from being parsed in new posts, but does not break old posts.

Comment

• littlematts
      • Jan 2007
      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Kerry-Anne
      vBulletin Options > vBulletin Options > BB Code Settings

Deselect the Size BB Code checkbox and save it. This will stop the size bb code from being used.

It stops it from being parsed in new posts, but does not break old posts.
      wow.. clear as crystal.

Well.. you deserve word of thanks from bottom of my heart..

May almighty bless you for your kind words of help and support

keep rocking vbulletin

regards
      littlematts

Comment

• Removed-1078464
        • Oct 2004
        • 3.6.x

vBulletin Options >Deselect the Size BB Code checkbox and save it. This will stop the size bb code from being used.
        In the drop down menu it lists numbers 1 through 7. Is there anyway to limit or restrict what the max size or number allowed or displayed can be? For example if I didnt want my members using font sizes any larger than say 3, could i disable 4,5,6, & 7 from showing up in the menu, and is there away to disable it from working if the member tried a number manually.

Doug

Comment

• peterska2
          • Oct 2003
          • 3.7.x

You can restrict the choices available in the toolbar menu by going to

AdminCP > Styles & Templates > Style Manager > Toolbar Menu Options > Toolbar Menu Options > Available Sizes

Remove any unwanted sizes.

This does not prevent the sizes from being typed in manually. To stop this will require a modification. You can have a look at vBulletin.org for something that will do this, or request it if it is not available.

Comment

• Removed-1078464
            • Oct 2004
            • 3.6.x

Thanks Kerry-Anne, this should work for now. Hopefully they wont figure out how to get around this.

Doug

Comment

• fasteddie
              • Jan 2004

I think an option for max font size based on usergroup would be very beneficial, as well as perhaps turning any font sizes 5, 6, or 7 and change that to 4 automatically.
              http://www.yorkietalk.com

Comment

• Michael Dengler
                • Feb 2004

This does not prevent the sizes from being typed in manually. To stop this will require a modification. You can have a look at vBulletin.org for something that will do this, or request it if it is not available.
                No hack is required if you are running version 3.6.7.

To ensure an unwanted size is not parsed by the system:

Usergroups > Usergroup Manager > Edit Usergroup (each usergroup has to be edited) > Signature Permissions > Maximum Value of x for [SIZE=x] BBCode. (The default maximum size is 7. Change the number to something smaller to limit the font size.)

Now, if a member attempts to use a large font size the following error message appears:
                The following errors occurred when this message was submitted:
                1. BB code size value is too big.

Comment

• Crazy Serb
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Michael Dengler

Usergroups > Usergroup Manager > Edit Usergroup (each usergroup has to be edited) > Signature Permissions > Maximum Value of x for [SIZE=x] BBCode. (The default maximum size is 7. Change the number to something smaller to limit the font size.)

Now, if a member attempts to use a large font size the following error message appears:
                  but that only works on signatures... any way to have it working for posts and rest of the site?

Comment

• LEARNER29
                    • Nov 2001
                    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Michael Dengler

I had this Maximum Value of x for [SIZE=x] BBCode set to 4
                    and users of that group werer still able to use [SIZE=7] in their posts on the forums.....

Comment

• peterska2
                      • Oct 2003
                      • 3.7.x

This permission is only for signatures. It does not affect posts.

Comment

• Pocket Aces
                        • Mar 2007
                        • 4.2.x

BBCode font size restriction in posts, not only in signatures, should be a built-in feature of vbulletin. At least that's what i believe. I see no decent use of font size higher than 4. Size 4 is enough to make notable in-post titles/headings. Having no font size restriction in posts is yet another problematic feature of vbulletin as far as moderation is concern.
                        vBulletin 4.2.5 | PHP 7.0.31 | MariaDB 10.2.17

Comment

• buurmannetje
                          • Jan 2005
                          • 3.6.x

Its an older post, but I still agree.

As far as I noticed, there still isnt a build in option for this.

I would also like to limit all font sizes to max 4.

Comment

• Michael Dengler
                            • Feb 2004

I use the Replacement Variable Manager.

Search for Text <font size="4"> - Replace with Text <font size="2">
                            Search for Text <font size="5"> - Replace with Text <font size="2">
                            Search for Text <font size="6"> - Replace with Text <font size="2">
                            Search for Text <font size="7"> - Replace with Text <font size="2">

Search for Text [size=4] - Replace with Text [size=2]
                            Search for Text [size=5] - Replace with Text [size=2]
                            Search for Text [size=6] - Replace with Text [size=2]
                            Search for Text [size=7] - Replace with Text [size=2]

Comment