X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dknelson99
    • Jul 2004
    • 3.8.x

Question about "Repair and Optimize" tables

When I run "repair and optimize" from the maintenance menu, I get a message that says please wait. How long? The progress bar at the bottom of my browser completes and says "done".. does that mean that the repair is done or do I wait until the "Please Wait" message goes away?

• Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Can you post a screen shot?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• RMS-Chef
      • Aug 2003
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by dknelson99
      When I run "repair and optimize" from the maintenance menu, I get a message that says please wait. How long? The progress bar at the bottom of my browser completes and says "done".. does that mean that the repair is done or do I wait until the "Please Wait" message goes away?
      From personal experience time can vary due to both your server's specs and size of forum. With my dual Opterons and 400k+ posts, when I run this I run it on all tables except the vb_post table, then run the vb_post table on it's own due to it's relative size. When I run it for all tables except the post table, it takes about 1-3 minutes. When I run it on the large post table (vb reports a 550MB data lenth on the post table), it can take up to 10 minutes to complete. When you are seeing "done" i think that is for the navigation frame, not the main frame that is running the repair/optimize. So, IMO, let it run even if it takes quite some time. I imagine with a smaller database it still could take a while if your server's specs are lower.

Comment

• dknelson99
        • Jul 2004
        • 3.8.x

I ran it again this morning and rather than "select all"...I just selected about 15 at a time. It worked fine that way. Finally got them all checked and optimized.

One other question. How often do most people do this? Is it considered routine maintenance that should be done at regular intervals?

Comment

• dknelson99
          • Jul 2004
          • 3.8.x

Anybody?

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

There is no set timetable for this. Everyone is different. I would think running repair/optimize once a week would be fine on a reguular basis.

More important than that though is making freqquent backups of the database.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...