X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • n3v3rl4nd
    • Nov 2006
    • 3.6.x

Host says vBulletin is garbage...

I have been looking at a new host. I found one that has been around for over 6 years and has a excellent reputation with hundereds of thousands of websites. I am wondering why they keep telling me that vBulletin is garbage and they dont allow it on their servers. They said it uses too many resources and causes too many problems and I should transfer my forum to phpBB instead.

I like vBulletin. I just dont understand why they responded to my emails saying bad stuff about it. They are supposed to be one of the best web hosts... I don't want to switch to phpBB.

Originally posted by Support Ticket 889DE-010607
    Original Message:
    I need to move to a new web host that support SSH. Do you support SSH so I can take a backup of my vBulletin database?

We do not provide SSH access to clients as this is a security risk and is a tool only available to Administrators.

I am sorry we do not currently and never will allow vBulletin to be ran on any of our servers as it does nothing but cause problems. It is a very poorly designed script. It is a complete resource hog. You will need to upgrade to phpBB which is a very well designed script that uses very little resources. If you need help transfering your community to phpBB we can provide you with assistance during your account setup.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.
    Pre-Sales Support.
    They have a thread on the issue: http://www.lunarforums.com/forum/ind...?topic=13065.0

I think vBulletin is the best but I didn't know it caused problems for web hosts. My current host lets me use vBulletin.
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Lunar forums has always held this standing, honestly I cannot see why.

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

I was going to comment but since most of the posts in that thread are almost three years old, they are no longer relevant.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• n3v3rl4nd
        • Nov 2006
        • 3.6.x

I dont think I am going to use them for a host if they dont support vBulletin.

Comment

• Rastus
          • Jun 2004
          • 5.5.x

that was an old thread. (I just had to go read where somebody thinks Vbulletin is garbage.. (I was gonna let them feel some Texas Heat)

and the last post in the thread says..
          "As a note, we do not disallow vBulletin or any other forum type at this point. We instead only take action if a site (whatever it runs) is causng disruption on the server itself, since other customers share the server. We also have VPS and dedicated plans for those customers who aren't suitable for shared hosting.

Nowadays, if the site is causing high load or processes, we typically try to load balance to another server first if possible or move to our temporary server. We also try to call the customer if they will be moved for resource issues.

Finally, we do try to recommend SMF as it isn't as exploited and has an easier upgrade path (a click in the admin panel to do so rather than the more complicated method phpBB has). We also provide SMF in Fantastico as the only forum there to quickly install.

Members are welcome to install phpBB, vBulletin or IPB, however."

Comment

• rolando
            • Jan 2006
            • 3.5.x

Recommended by Rackspace.com

Funny, my glamour photography site has been around since 1999. I first started with the old Matt scripts, CGI forum, then when to Ubbthreads, then to Vbulletin last March, 2006. Now the thread you reference if very old, in my book, as technology changes every Monday when the Board of Directors meet, and in two years, the Internet, servers, bandwidth and more important, Vbulletin have come a long way.

I have over 21,000 users on one of my four Vbulletin installs. Earlier this year after being comprised, because of our own fault, my server host, www.Rackspace.com, considered one of the largest in the world, highly recommend Vbulletin. Their techs claim it's the most safest based on their own experience with over 20,000 servers they have around the world, Rack also owns some server farms not under the Rack name.

I'm friends with their CTO as they are based here out of San Antonio and he's also a member of my forums. I'm not a tech, coder or programmer, but I'm smart enought to place security as the number one concern when installing software. After being hacked too many times, I switched to VBulletin and have since purchased three more licenses.

When someone like Rack feels that strong about their customers software, as Rack normally doesn't get involved because they lease you ther server and how you set it up is your baby, I feel more secure--though no server is ever secure.

One day I had a problem, was on the phone with Rackspace, and the firs thing they acknowledge was their happiness that I ran Vbulletin--again, this is not their endorsement, but their techs at high tier levels familiar with Vb.

Obvisiouly you get what you pay for, if this program is more server intensive, I'm sure a lot of has to do with providing not only better functionality, but integration, adaptability and most important, security. The more security checks, the more server intensive. Obviously that other site is selling (renting) server space, or shared server resources, so of course they want customers to use less while paying for more.

Most server farms offer you the world as most sites don't use 60% of the resources they purchase, and they bet on this, once a site is popular, you either upgrade or move on--they know this. Since 1999 I've done around 10 server upgrades---not fun, but hey, my photos run more server space and probably load because images are big in comparison to text posts.

Vbulletin all the way! If you want the truth about a products abilities and more important security, then go to the techs, not the owners of the company trying to make more money--the techs know the "guts" of the products. Just my two cents worth as a proud vb owner, rg sends!
            A Lexar Elite Photographer, writer for Studio Photography magazine
            & Author for Amherst Media

Comment

• Meestor_X
              • Apr 2006
              • 3.8.x

I am sorry we do not currently and never will allow vBulletin to be ran on any of our servers as it does nothing but cause problems.
              He forgot to add: "Nor do we allow anyone that has graduated from high school to work in Pre-Sales Support."

I also like the "upgrade to phpBB" comment. That's a riot!
              -Andy.
              http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
              http://www.mindplacesupport.com

Comment

• Andy Huang
                • Feb 2004

Yes... upgrade to phpBB and open yourself to a spew load of exploits such as the howdark exploit...
                Best Regards,
                Andy Huang

Comment

• pcsb23
                  • Nov 2006
                  • 3.6.x

One of the hosts I use (not now for a forum), who are just a small reseller have this in their forbidden scripts file

>>>
                  phpBB Bulletin Board package and all associated or companion scripts or applications designed to work with phpBB. Unfortunately phpBB has been the subject of intense attack over a considerable period of time and has been compromised on many occasions over a number of versions, leading to abuse by spammers, system compromise and damage to files. The design of the software leads us to conclude that attacks and compromises are likely to continue, and that this software poses an unacceptable risk to our customers.
                  <<<

some upgrade

Comment

• rolando
                    • Jan 2006
                    • 3.5.x

I forgot to add, the Rackspace.com support forum is vbulletin, this is an internal forum, but when one of the worlds largest server providers is using VB, then I'm happy. Thanks, rg.
                    A Lexar Elite Photographer, writer for Studio Photography magazine
                    & Author for Amherst Media

Comment

• Jesepi
                      • Aug 2006
                      • 3.8.x

I am sorry we do not currently and never will allow vBulletin to be ran on any of our servers as it does nothing but cause problems. It is a very poorly designed script. It is a complete resource hog. You will need to upgrade to phpBB which is a very well designed script that uses very little resources. If you need help transfering your community to phpBB we can provide you with assistance during your account setup.
                      Wow, someone has an agenda

On the flip side of things, I don't allow phpbb to be installed on my host machine. This was because back when I first started to host people's websites, I repeatedly told a client of mine to move away from phpbb because it was prone to being exploited. It was ignored, till one day it did get exploited, and ended up being a total mess to clean up.

Never again. SMF if you want a free forum package to get you rolling, and then later on vbulletin if you want the (IMO) best package around. I'll help em install either

Take a hint from cpanel's cpAddon menu... phpBB is the only product listed in a red font with the lowest security rating of 1.

Comment

• Greek76
                        • Sep 2006
                        • 3.6.x

I used to have phpbb and let me tell you it was terrible. Everything was a mission to do on it forget it. Vbulletin in my eyes is the best forum software out their none can compete with it! As for the hosts complaining about their resources being used thats their problem maybe they should have better servers!
                        Acrow Host

Comment

• TheFrienzNetwork
                          • Jan 2007
                          • 3.6.x

You might want to try:http://dot5hosting.com/

They're great and cheap.
                          Make love not war, condoms are cheaper than bullets.

Comment

• sheryar690
                            • Jan 2007
                            • 3.6.x

i have used tons of webhosts

from 1and1 hosting to godaddy and frankly they all suck
                            but then at the price they ask i wouldnt be suprised

however finally after 5yrs of search i frankly think
                            powweb is the best hosting company their is to find

for 70$ a year
                            you get 40GB space
                            and 26Gb a day bandwith

for a forum thats heaven
                            and it has never lagged

i would recommend it any day

Comment

• jonrodman
                              • Sep 2005

My host would say the same thing if asked

Hello,
                              I am sure my host would say the same thing. Everytime I go to upgrade vBulletin they have to put up with me asking questions for weeks.

The upgrades are timeconsuming for my host. Everytime, I have to bother them with questions and requests every day untill I can get my forum online again.

Jon

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...