X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emwonk
    • Jul 2006
    • 3.5.x

Question re moderating new users

Due to an increase in spammers, I want to make some changes to my forum and need help please.

My hope would be to somehow create a new usergroup called "new members."

That group would have their first posts moderated before they go live, and after they are deemed legitimate, or they have X number of posts, their full registerd-user priviliges are installed.

Is there a way to do this?

Is there some other more effective way to limit posts?

As I write, I have a chap awating email confirmation named "tmobileslorenzo" and I'm ready to pounce. I do not want to have to eyball the forum 24/7 to police the site.

Thanks,

JO
  • Boxy
    • Oct 2002

You can do this with promotions:

1. Create a new usergroup with the appropriate overall permissions for new users:

Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager -> Add New Usergroup

2. Set the appropriate usergroup permissions for the forum(s) in question:

Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Forum Permissions

3. Create promotion to promote users from "Registered Users" to this new group after x number of posts.

4. Update the permissions for the registered users group to limit what they may do before they reach the required post count.

Comment

• emwonk
      • Jul 2006
      • 3.5.x

Thanks! That's all clear to me except for...

Create promotion to promote users from "Registered Users" to this new group after x number of posts.
      How do I create a promotion?

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Promotions
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• emwonk
          • Jul 2006
          • 3.5.x

I'm having trouble understanding this.

Where do I read up on this in the manual? Is there a detailed step-by-step somewhere I could follow? (I need it down to "remove toothbrush from cabinet. Remove cap. Place toothpaste on bristle area of the brush....."

I'm getting stuck on the forum permissions screen, where it looks like I would need to somehow edit every instance of the new users.

E

P.S. I'm trying again right now. The place I am getting hung up is that after I add the new usergroup, and I set this to "no"Follow Forum Moderation RulesIf no, posts are always placed into moderation queueYes No

Then it lokks like the same status is applying to that group when I get to the forum permissions screen. Either I am reading it wrong, I'm changing a setting somewhere or the instructions are duplicative. Knowing what little I know, I have no doubt who is unclear about this. Me.
          Last edited by emwonk; Fri 8 Dec '06, 2:05pm.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

Here is the online documentation for user Promotions:

Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• emwonk
              • Jul 2006
              • 3.5.x

This looks to be not hard, but daunting for a noob. IS there another v-bulletin member out there who would let me call you to walk me through this? If you PM me, I'll reply soon.

Thanks for considering.,..

E

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...