Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Halo2Forum.com
    • May 2005

Ad bots in 3.6.4

We've been getting tons of Ad bots, most of them with emails ending with @web.de

All ads they post are similar.

I have image verification & email activation enabled.

• bplinson
    • Mar 2004
    • 6.X

Ban all registrations from @web.de . I had to do that myself.

I know it sucks but that is probably one of the only ways to stop them.

Comment

• Halo2Forum.com
      • May 2005

Exactly where can you ban that? (Nvm, I found it)

Also, if this is allowed on vb, why not fix it? It's like the 30th version of vb. These problems should be solved from the first ever upgrade.

Comment

• bplinson
        • Mar 2004
        • 6.X

Vbulletin Options > Banning Options

Go to the Banned Email Addresses block and enter @web.de

Also see this thread for others to ban: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210924

Comment

• UnderEstimated
          • May 2006

well how many u can ban i tried that now i put an extra captcha option while u register.

Comment

• JonUrban
            • Jul 2003

Try banning these as well

@web.de
            .ru
            @gawab.com
            @cashette.com

What do these people expect from these posts? Does anyone actually BUY a fake Rolex, questionable pill, fake electronics, etc. Good Grief!

Comment

• steven s
              • Jul 2004
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by JonUrban
              What do these people expect from these posts? Does anyone actually BUY a fake Rolex, questionable pill, fake electronics, etc. Good Grief!
              I had a user mad at me because I deleted the spam.
              He was interested in a PS3 for somthing like $250US.
              ...steven
              www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
              bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
              "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• Halo2Forum.com
                • May 2005

Originally posted by JonUrban
                Try banning these as well

@web.de
                .ru
                @gawab.com
                @cashette.com

nice, i added these. but still, this shouldn't even be a problem in the first place.

Comment

• Blackjack
                  • Dec 2000

Originally posted by Halo2Forum.com
                  but still, this shouldn't even be a problem in the first place.
                  Why?

Everything that users to to interact with a forum can easily be mimicked by a program. Email and image verification can be automated. There is only so much vB can do about it.
                  Me: Gryphon | My vBulletin Hacks
                  Sites: Allied Tribal Forces | The Hounds of Zeus | PlanetSide-Universe

Comment

• NetHogz
                    • Aug 2005
                    • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Halo2Forum.com
                    We've been getting tons of Ad bots, most of them with emails ending with @web.de

All ads they post are similar.

I have image verification & email activation enabled.

Until a couple of weeks ago, I've not had one spam bot (image verification enabled). Now it's constant... one or two a day. Some from web.de, but even banning web.de is not enough. I do notice though that they all show a birthday of "March 28 1983" which suggests it's the same spam-bot each and every time.

I wonder if someone has found a flaw to bypass the image-verification security?

Comment

• NetHogz
                      • Aug 2005
                      • 3.7.x

Originally posted by NetHogz
                      Until a couple of weeks ago, I've not had one spam bot (image verification enabled). Now it's constant... one or two a day. Some from web.de, but even banning web.de is not enough. I do notice though that they all show a birthday of "March 28 1983" which suggests it's the same spam-bot each and every time.

I wonder if someone has found a flaw to bypass the image-verification security?
                      Ah, just realized I had the simple GD font enabled instead of true-type... so I'm going to see if changing to true-type helps.

Comment

• Blackjack
                        • Dec 2000

It will help, but good programming can still automatically read the images. It still wont guarantee that it is a human registering for the forums.
                        Me: Gryphon | My vBulletin Hacks
                        Sites: Allied Tribal Forces | The Hounds of Zeus | PlanetSide-Universe

Comment

• ProfessorB
                          • Nov 2005

I've been getting a lot of these registrations, anywhere from 2-10 per day. It is frustrating to say the least, and it is a pain to clean them up.

If the captcha doesn't work well enough, vBulletin should develop one that does. This is why I pay my yearly fee to the company to get updates, and why I use vBulletin in the first place (i.e. they're proactive about security). Though it is only annoying now, this could turn into a massive inconvenience for some people if it gets further out of hand.

Comment

• WhiteOx
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ProfessorB
                            I've been getting a lot of these registrations, anywhere from 2-10 per day. It is frustrating to say the least, and it is a pain to clean them up.

If the captcha doesn't work well enough, vBulletin should develop one that does. This is why I pay my yearly fee to the company to get updates, and why I use vBulletin in the first place (i.e. they're proactive about security). Though it is only annoying now, this could turn into a massive inconvenience for some people if it gets further out of hand.
                            If you read some of the other threads around you'll find a solution to your problem.

Last edited by WhiteOx; Sat 2 Dec '06, 11:03am.

Comment

• Halo2Forum.com
                              • May 2005

Originally posted by Blackjack
                              Why?

Everything that users to to interact with a forum can easily be mimicked by a program. Email and image verification can be automated. There is only so much vB can do about it.
                              So what's the point of image verification? And what's the point of email activation?

It's obvious you missed the point.

VB can't do anything about it? You kidding me? LOL It's their JOB to do it; I don't know about you, but my version of VB is PAID for.
                              Last edited by Halo2Forum.com; Sat 2 Dec '06, 11:47am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...