Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GASTCorp
    • Jan 2006

As you can tell by my post count, I usually find what I am looking for … not this time.

I couldn’t find this issue anywhere … so either I am dumb, or an idiot … one of the two.

My issue seems to only be happening to me (admin) … and since I am so new to this, it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s something I overlooked…

When I hit my New Post button on my forum, it will only show me the last three/four and sometimes says that there are no new posts … but at the same time if I go to Quick Links > Todays Posts, it will show me that a post was made about 5 minutes ago … even though I have been on for hour, the New Posts button didn’t show anything at all…

The longest string of New Posts I have ever seen, has been 16(ish), and then after a while, if I were to hit New Posts again, it will only show me two/three/ or none … The whole time I am active on the forum, and it never seems to have a trigger that I seem to notice…

I asked my members and they say everything is Ok on their end… so I am stumped. This is frustrating for me, because I can not keep up with New Posts because even though there have been new posts, it tells me there isn’t any, or that there was only 4, when there was actually 25…

I just upgraded to 3.6.4 from 3.6.2, my issue is present with both versions.

Although I am getting the grasp of using vB, I would appreciate it if you could explain the fix, as if I was an elderly grandfather….which also means if this is a dumb question, just tell me to go away…

Thanks in advance…
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Set this:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> General Settings -> Thread/Forum Read Marking Type -> Database (automatic forum marking)

And this:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> General Settings -> Database Read Marking Limit

The first time you set this all posts will show up as unread because the database marking is new. Once you mark the forums as read everything will work fine.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• GASTCorp
      • Jan 2006

I tried that last week and the members went nuts saying that something changed on their end .... so I put it back... I will have to see if they are Ok with this setting now, otherwise I have to live with it the way it is now...

Thanks for that lightning fast reply!

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

That's why I also posted this:

"The first time you set this all posts will show up as unread because the database marking is new. Once you mark the forums as read everything will work fine."
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• GASTCorp
          • Jan 2006

Sorry, I should have added, when I had them do that, they still complained that something wasn't normal after they marked forums read.... this time I will wait a day or two and see what they say...

Thanks for the support!

You guys are fast!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...