Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • josiespencer
    • Dec 2005

One or Two "Bad" User Activations a Day

In general, we have 25 - 50 new user registerations a day and the vast majority of them activate just fine as well. But 1 or 2 of them just don't seem to work. The user name adds correctly, and there aren't any spaces in the user name or password. But when the new user receives his/her activation email, the link just doesn't work.

I can correct the problem by manually changing the password for the problem user. But I don't want to have to do this forever, why don't all the activation links work correctly?

Hi thanks for activating my account,
    but i am unable to loggin in the same

Hoping for the needful

Regards..
    Mohan
    Dear Sir,

following are my details Your Username is: satya2000
    Your Activation ID is: 2734179
    the login is failed several times.
    please give me the solution
    regards
    satya prasad
    Dear Sir

i m unable to activate my sapsuperusers account

pl help me Sir

My User Name:arunprakash.
    Activation Code:28517792

Regards

V.S. ArunPrakash
  • Bob Isaac
    • Dec 2005
    • 3.8.x

I have had this very same problem some time back, and disabled email verification. I have just re enabled it as we are getting a number of new members using spoof email addys.

I never found the reason for this problem, but I really did not investigate it either.

Bob

Comment

• josiespencer
      • Dec 2005

I know it doesn't help but I am so relieved that I am not the only one.

Comment

• josiespencer
        • Dec 2005

So apparently we are the only two owners of vBulletin who have this problem on a regular basis? And no one else has ever reported it?

Comment

• kenfuzed
          • Dec 2006

I've received a few with the same problem. When I try to follow the email link that was sent to the new user it goes to a blank page.

Comment

• josiespencer
            • Dec 2005

When I follow the link, I get a logon page but using the temporary password given in the email to the new user never works. The user name was properly added but it is like the temporary password is simply bad. The next time someone reports this problem, I will go out to my database and eyeball the row in its "just added but not verified" state to see if I can see any obvious problem.

I think setting a pre-determined password for all new users would resolve the problem but I don't think there is an option for that, right? Once I go out and reset the password for the new user, everything works fine for the new account.

Comment

• Paul M
              Former Lead Developer
              vB.Com & vB.Org
              • Sep 2004

We used to have this problem in 3.5 - the user activation code in the e-mail did not match what was in the database - it was only in a few cases and I don't think we've had any since we upgraded to 3.6 (at least no one has complained yet).
              Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• josiespencer
                • Dec 2005

Thanks but I am on 3.6.2. So that can't be the same problem. But at least we are gathering information that more than just one or two customers have this problem. How many does it take before someone at www.vbulletin.com will actually recognize and address the issue?

Comment

• horseUSA
                  • Feb 2006
                  • 3.5.x

I have the same issue, with a couple of users getting rejected by the activation ID. I am running 3.6.4

Comment

• josiespencer
                    • Dec 2005

I have a feeling a ton of people have this issue and just work around it to work on other things. So what do we do about it? What can we do about it?

I realize this is like the worst of all bugs to try to pin down, am on-and-off sort of problem. If there is anything I can do to further discovery for this issue, please let me know. Any logs I can turn on that you might need? Any database rows I can pull for you? Anything at all... I just want to get rid of this problem.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      Former Customer Support Manager
                      • Jul 2000

This does work with the normal vB . One possibility is their email clients do not display the link correctly. Once they click on an invalid link the activation code is deactivated and cannot be used again. They need to get a new activation email.

This is a big problem with AOL email and the activation email even warns about this. Most people don't take the time to actually read unfortunately.
                      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• josiespencer
                        • Dec 2005

I hate to ask, but do you have the verbage AOL uses in their email so that I can at least add that to my board's welcome message?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                          Former Customer Support Manager
                          • Jul 2000

Here is the activateacccount phrase:

Dear $username, Thank you for registering at the $vboptions[bbtitle]. Before we can activate your account one last step must be taken to complete your registration. Please note - you must complete this last step to become a registered member. You will only need to visit this url once to activate your account. To complete your registration, please visit this url: $vboptions[bburl]/register.php?a=act&u=$userid&i=$activateid <a href="$vboptions[bburl]/register.php?a=act&u=$userid&i=$activateid">America Online Users Please Visit Here to be Activated</a> **** Does The Above URL Not Work? **** If the above url does not work, please use your Web browser to go to: $vboptions[bburl]/register.php?a=ver Please be sure not to add extra spaces. You will need to type in your username and activation number on the page that appears when you visit the url. Your Username is: $username Your Activation ID is: $activateid If you are still having problems signing up please contact a member of our support staff at $vboptions[webmasteremail] All the best, $vboptions[bbtitle] -------------------- To stop receiving this email, please visit this url: $vboptions[bburl]/register.php?do=deleteactivation&u=$userid&i=$activateid

It doesn't mention AOL specifically but it does mention the problem (If the above url does not work) and what to wacth fo.
                          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• josiespencer
                            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                            Here is the activateacccount phrase:

Dear $username, Thank you for registering at the $vboptions[bbtitle]. Before we can activate your account one last step must be taken to complete your registration. Please note - you must complete this last step to become a registered member. You will only need to visit this url once to activate your account. To complete your registration, please visit this url: $vboptions[bburl]/register.php?a=act&u=$userid&i=$activateid <a href="$vboptions[bburl]/register.php?a=act&u=$userid&i=$activateid">America Online Users Please Visit Here to be Activated</a> **** Does The Above URL Not Work? **** If the above url does not work, please use your Web browser to go to: $vboptions[bburl]/register.php?a=ver Please be sure not to add extra spaces. You will need to type in your username and activation number on the page that appears when you visit the url. Your Username is: $username Your Activation ID is: $activateid If you are still having problems signing up please contact a member of our support staff at $vboptions[webmasteremail] All the best, $vboptions[bbtitle] -------------------- To stop receiving this email, please visit this url: $vboptions[bburl]/register.php?do=deleteactivation&u=$userid&i=$activateid

It doesn't mention AOL specifically but it does mention the problem (If the above url does not work) and what to wacth fo.
                            Thank you so very much! You are a life saver.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...