• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Removed-1078464
    • Oct 2004
    • 3.6.x

Smilies and Message Area Cut Off

Group,

I just got done upgrading from 3.6.2 to 3.6.3 and now my smilies that are in the editor are cut off on the far right side along with my message box.

I have selected to display 8 smilies per row across in my smilie preview box.

It has displayed correctly up until now for the past several months and VB Versions.

This error is occuring on my computer that has Internet Explorer 7 installed, but NOT on my other computer that has Internet Explorer 6 on it.

I did NOT have this issue until I upgraded to 3.6.3.

Also if this helps, I was not prompted to revert any templates or etc, a good clean upgrade except for this so far.

Any idea what's causing this and what needs to be done to fix it?

Please see my attached screen shots for a better idea.

Thanks

Doug
    Attached Files
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

Some browsers truncate the message area like that. The only solution I know of is to lessen the width of that area by reducing the number of clickable smilies or by reducing the width of the textarea.

Comment

• Removed-1078464
      • Oct 2004
      • 3.6.x

But Jake I really don't feel that the browser is at fault here though. This just started happening after I upgraded to 3.6.3. It was working perfectly fine before that on 3.6.2 using both browser versions of Internet Explorer.

Doug

Comment

• Jake Bunce
        • Dec 2000
        • 3.6.x

There are no changes to related templates from 3.6.2 to 3.6.3 except for the editor_toolbar_off template which is for the basic editor, but your screenshots show that you are using the advanced editor. And I have known this problem to affect all versions of vB3.

It is a browser compatibility problem. The default style is optimized to be compatible with all major browsers, but we can't always make things work 100% the same due to differences in the browsers themselves.

Comment

• Removed-1078464
          • Oct 2004
          • 3.6.x

It's doing it in Fire Fox as well, but it displays it just a little bit differently.

See the attached Screen Shot.

I think I am going to revert back to 3.6.2 and test it with the various browsers just to make sure this wasnt happening before I upgraded. Just want to be sure to rule it out that it wasnt there before.

If this issue is for sure being caused by the VB upgrade (3.6.3) and not the browsers and the Jelsoft Staff doesnt have a remedy for this issue then I think I am going to go back to VB 3.6.2. I know that if i disable the Smilie Box the layout goes back into proper porpotion again but I do not want to loose the Smilie Box because of this.

I will update you soon.

Doug
          Attached Files

Comment

• Removed-1078464
            • Oct 2004
            • 3.6.x

Update....

Well after testing on 3.6.2 it does it there too. I sure wish I knew what the fix for this was cause I really dont want to have to give up my smilie box and be stuck with the smilie menu option only.

If anyone knows how to fix this it would be greatly appreciated if you could let me know.

Thanks

Doug

Comment

• alexisbellido
              • Apr 2002

Hi, I had the same problem and I'm pretty sure 3.6.2 worked normally. Can somebody else please confirm?

I'm running Firefox 2 on Linux.

I fixed the problem setting "Form Width" to 480px and "Message Area Width" to 300px in Sizes and Dimensions, Style Manager, other values may work too but I'm using a sidebar and probably need some more space.

This only worked with 1024x768, for 800x600 I'm still having problems.

By the way, how do I set how many smilies per row are shown? I'm showing 3 but would like to show just 2.

Any other suggestions?
              Alexis Bellido
              Ventanazul, a forum for Spanish and English speaking web developers

Comment

• Removed-1078464
                • Oct 2004
                • 3.6.x

I dont have any suggestions, but what I did was just disable the use of the smilie box area on the right until this can be resolved.

Doug

Comment

• denby
                  • Nov 2004

I have a fix: set the Form width but set the value to "100%" instead of an absolute pixel width to cope with window resizing and differing templates.
                  "All the world's a stage .. coach." - John Wayne

Comment

• Removed-1078464
                    • Oct 2004
                    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by denby
                    set the Form width
                    Set the forum width? Where? To what?

Originally posted by denby
                    but set the value to "100%" instead of an absolute pixel width to cope with window resizing and differing templates.
                    Well group I never have figured out whats causing this. I do know that IE 6 it seems to show up fine, but doesnt with IE 7 or Fire Fox.

Ive given up on this and am just going to leave it disabled and my users will just have to use the drop down menu in the editor to use smilies.

Doug

Comment

• denby
                      • Nov 2004

Form width, not forum width. It is a setting within your forum Admin Control Panel:

Styles & Templates -> Style Manager -> [select your forum style] -> StyleVars -> Sizes and Dimensions
                      "Form Width (pixels) (This value specifies the width in pixels of most forms in the vBulletin interface)"
                      [set to 100%]

Comment

• Removed-1078464
                        • Oct 2004
                        • 3.6.x

Yeah thats what I meant to say, form.

Thanks for clarifying.

Doug

Comment

• denby
                          • Nov 2004

no worries. i hope it solves your problems.

Comment

• Removed-1078464
                            • Oct 2004
                            • 3.6.x

Actually from what I can tell, I already have it set at 100 percent.

See attached screen shot.

Doug
                            Attached Files

Comment

• richg
                              • May 2005

7th item down on that list - change it to 100%

Thanks for the tip denby - it fixed my issue

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...