Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sporta
    • Mar 2006

switching servers

ok i am in the process of switching servers but we are having a hard time with which files i need because my current host wont enable Full Account Backup feature and/or create a cpmove file (not sure what that means but the new host needs it)
    they said they could do it manually but we dont know which files are needed or which database is needed

my question i guess is would it be easier to just do a fresh install of vb software and if there is any way to transfer the post and all the members and all that over?
    and is that even allowed? because for a short time until the new site is set up maybe a couple hours i would have 2 host with vb set up until i could disable the old one
    if this makes any sense at all
  • feldon23
    • Nov 2001
    • 3.7.x

vBulletin uses one MySQL database. You need to make a complete backup of this database and copy it to your new server.

If you are storing attachments, avatars, and/or profile pics in the database, then you need to back those up as well.

I don't know how big your forum is but have you downloaded an FTP client like FileZilla and set it to just download the entire forums directory? That will get you everything EXCEPT the database.

Then you have to find a utility to get a complete backup of the database like MySQLDumper.

I've sent you a PM.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
      • Dec 2000
      • 3.6.x

An actual forum move is much preferred to an import. Your host should certainly be able to give you access to make a backup, or they should be able to make one for you.

If you truly cannot get a backup then an import is always an option. You might have trouble connecting the your old database host from the new server due to restrictions of the host.

Comment

• Sporta
        • Mar 2006

they will do it but they want to charge me another 30 bucks to back up everything and one i dont have the extra money laying around and even if i did i dont wnat to pay them any more money to do it

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...