• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tpac
    • Sep 2006
    • 3.6.x

Redhat Fedora Core 5 Database Connect Failure

Hello,

I'm trying to install vBulletin v3.6.0 on a new install of Redhat Fedora Core 5 but I can't get past Step 2 (Connect to the database). It fails with the following error:

Error description: mysqli_real_connect() [function.mysqli-real-connect]: (HY000/2003): Can't connect to MySQL server on 'x.x.x.xl' (13) /var/www/html/dm/includes/class_core.php on line 1031
    The database has failed to connect because you do not have permission to connect to the server. Please confirm the values entered in the 'includes/config.php' file.

x.x.x.x is the IP address of the MySQL server. I am trying to install vBulletin on a different server than the MySQL database.

To troubleshoot I have triple checked the db name, username, password, and IP address in config.php to make sure they match the vaules for the MySQL server. I have added the appropriate GRANT line to MySQL to allow the vBulleting IP and user to access to server.

If I run the MySQL command line tool on the vBulletin server and cut-n-paste the values from config.php to the command line tool I can connect to the database server and access the database:

mysql -h x.x.x.x -u xxxxxxx -p xxxxxxxxx

Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
    Your MySQL connection id is 2 to server version: 4.1.20

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.

mysql> use database_name_in_config.php;
    Reading table information for completion of table and column names
    You can turn off this feature to get a quicker startup with -A

Database changed
    mysql>

Based on this I do not think there is a network/connectivity problem between the vBulletin server and the MySQL server. To take it a step further I also ran TCPDUMP on the MySQL server while running the install script just to see if any packets were making it to the MySQL server from the vBulletin server. There was no traffic from the vBulletin server when I got to step 2.

Another thing. The config.php file I am using is identical to the same file on a FreeBSD and CentOS server which both work fine. I have also tried changing the db type from mysqli to mysql and the error message is pretty much the same.

The Redhat FC 5 server is running:
    httpd-devel-2.2.2-1.2
    httpd-2.2.2-1.2
    mysql-5.0.22-1.FC5.1
    php-mysql-5.1.4-1
    php-pear-1.4.9-1.2
    php-5.1.6 (recompiled adding the "--with-mysql" option)
    php-pdo-5.1.4-1
    php-mysql-5.1.4-1

The MySQL server is running:
    mysql-4.1.20-1.RHEL4.1
    mysql-server-4.1.20-1.RHEL4.1

Any suggestion would be fantastic, I've been at this for 3 days now and I'm getting ready to flip out.

Thanks for your time.

Tom

Last edited by tpac; Sat 30 Sep '06, 12:31pm.
  • tpac
    • Sep 2006
    • 3.6.x

Hi,

I'm still interested in any comments on my original post, but it lieu of that could someone please let me know if they've had success with vBulletin on Redhat FC5 ? Maybe that's my problem.

Thanks.

--Tom

Comment

• Krikitu
      • Feb 2006

Can you test the mysql connection from another command-line client on another machine ?

Do you have some logs from /var/log/mysqld.log ?

I personnaly have tested vb3.54 upgrade to 3.6.1 on FC5, Apache 2.2.2, MySQL 5.0.22 using mysqli and php 5.1.4. Works like a charm (or I should say "worked", because I've restored a 3.54 database on my install )

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...