A new member unable to log in ... what should I advise him?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zanack
    • Jun 2004
    • 3.6.x

A new member unable to log in ... what should I advise him?

I've not had this problem on my forum before. I'm up to date with the software ie. 3.6.1 and run no hacks at all.

A new member signed up and afterwards I received an email from the person stating that he can't sign in. He stated that he had attempted to use his original password and the new one provided when he clicked the lost password link.

I set a new password for him and reminded him to click the Remember Me box in order to remain logged in.

This was his response:

Thank's for the response.
    It does come up with my details now in the top right-hand box, but these disappear as soon as I try to access anything. A box appears with the following request:
    vBulletin Message
    You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page.
    This could be due to one of several reasons:
    1. You are not logged in. Fill in the form at the bottom of this page and try again.
    2. You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    3. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
    User Name:
    Password:
    Forgotten Your Password?Remember Me?
    The administrator may have required you to register before you can view this page.

This text appears in a box with the "vBulletin Message" heading.
    Am I doing something wrong? It just seems to jump to this instantly. I may have upset some people in my time, but usually they are flesh and blood - not computerised!
    After that message, I suggested that this might be a cookie issue and asked him to check his browser settings. I checked his account details with us, and there's no reason that I can find for his account not to work.

This is the reply I got:

Hi again,
    Sorry to be a real pain, but cookies are permanently enabled on my unit.
    However I did notice that one of them is disabled - bbsessionhash.
    Any ideas?
    I pointed out the importance of this particular cookie. but advised him to re-check his settings. My sense here was that if he could identify that, then he might be able to rectify the problem.

I received this email back:

I have tried each setting to make this work, but every time it is downloaded it automatically turns itself off again! There are no other steps I can take to make this work, just seems that my little old mac doesn't like your site!

Pity, I was looking forward to participating in your forums, but I can't see that anything else that can be done.

Thanks for trying anyway.
    He is using a Mac with MSIE 5.1

I'm stuck! What might be the problem here? Nobody else on my forums is having difficulty with logging in, so I suspect that it's his computer. I would appreciate either verification of my thoughts or any other suggestions.

Many thanks!
  • Colin F
    • May 2004

As you realized, this is certainly a problem on his computer.
    Possibly he can try using a different browser?
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• zanack
      • Jun 2004
      • 3.6.x

Thanks Colin. You've verified my own thoughts which is helpful. I just needed to check this out here ... I appreciate your response. I suspect there's little more I can offer this person other than him trying a different browser ... beyond that, it's up to him.

Thanks!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...