X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SuperJETT
    • Mar 2006
    • 3.5.x

3.6.1 clean install fails at step 6 language

After some other issues, I decided to perform a clean install, new database, new everything, and cannot get past step 6 Importing Language.

I have verified the xml files were uploaded in ascii format, have redownloaded the entire package first then the xml files only the second time, reuploaded everything, etc etc. but it still stops on Step 6 after it prints Step 6) Importing Language

What is next on the list to check?
  • SuperJETT
    • Mar 2006
    • 3.5.x

Just for giggles, I deleted everything and downloaded 3.5.4 which I was on for a while.

Step 6 fails also, with an error:

Step 6) Importing Language
    Importing vbulletin-language.xml
    vBulletin Message

vBulletin Message

XML Error: %1$s at Line %2$s

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

Are the correct xml file versions showing in the upper right hand corner? This means that either the files were not uploaded correctly or your servver's PHP is not compiled with XML support.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• SuperJETT
        • Mar 2006
        • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
        Are the correct xml file versions showing in the upper right hand corner? This means that either the files were not uploaded correctly or your servver's PHP is not compiled with XML support.
        I have nothing in the top right.

screenshot:
        www.x-h2o.com/install.png

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

Then the install/*.xml files have not been uploaded correctly.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• SuperJETT
            • Mar 2006
            • 3.5.x

I'll try again.

I use Smartftp, have tried both in auto and ascii mode, both on full packages and just the xml files themselves.

Comment

• SuperJETT
              • Mar 2006
              • 3.5.x

If I run through an upgrade (even though vb is not runnable), the xml versions show up, but going through the install they do not.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                • Jun 2002

Just because they have been uploaded does not imply they've been uploaded in the right format. XML and PHP files in particular needs to be uploaded in an ASCII format and not binary.
                ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• SuperJETT
                  • Mar 2006
                  • 3.5.x

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                  Just because they have been uploaded does not imply they've been uploaded in the right format. XML and PHP files in particular needs to be uploaded in an ASCII format and not binary.
                  I've done it 3 different ways, in Auto, ASCII, and even via ssh directly untar'ing the file directly into it's directory. Same result, and when selecting the Upgrade option, the xml files do show up but I cannot upgrade as it's not a valid install.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                    • Jun 2002

Try reuploading ALL .php and .xml files again.
                    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• SuperJETT
                      • Mar 2006
                      • 3.5.x

I know you're trying to help, but I've done that around 4 times today, including 3.5.4 which is the version I was running prior to upgrading to 3.6.0 last month.

This is not rocket science, I've been doing forums for many years now, and due to server moves, this is probably my 5th vb install this year and have never run into any kind of issue like this.

The last time I did the files, I uploaded the .tar.gz directly to the server, uncompressed it directly into the public folder via ssh and have the exact same behavior as the other methods.

I have talked to my host about it, but they say there is no issue.

I'm at a loss, and my members are irritated.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                        • Jun 2002

Do you have access to SSH or telenet on your server? If you do, do a direct open of the vBulletin-Language.xml file and see if it was uploaded properly.

Comment

• SuperJETT
                          • Mar 2006
                          • 3.5.x

Yes, it's fine. 7371 lines, last line is </language>

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                            • Jun 2002

That looks fine. Hmmm.... Try running step six again. If it fails again, I suppose you could just try CHMODing it to 777. Other than that, I suggest raising a question with your web host and see what's wrong with the configuration.

Comment