X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Photoshopfreak
    • Sep 2006
    • 3.6.x

Email validation problem

It has come to my attention that many of my forums members are not getting email validation emails & possibly other emails sent from my forum as there are rougly the same amount of validating members as there are validated members.

However some members do get emails with no problems because they are validated, i have also asked some members which email providers they use & where did some or all the emails go "inbox" "junk" etc. I know there are alot of users who get no validation emails that use @hotmail.com, however some members did get there email whilst using @hotmail.com & the emails were sent to the regular inbox, this seems odd & i even tried it out myself, some emails got to my @hotmail.co.uk address but not the validation email which was sent to the "junk folder"

I have searched many threads on vbulletin.com & read the canned responses & searched for the answer on many other web sites, i thought i had found the answer & it was the default VB wording of the emails sent from my forums, so i changed every last email (wording) & thought the problem was fixed but it wasn't, so i opened the validation email in my @hotmail.co.uk email address that was in the "junk folder" copied all the text exactly as it was & sent it from my email address i use in Vbulletin but i didn't sent it from the forum software, this email got to the regular "inbox" so maybe it isn't the wording but something in the headers of the email

Anyways i use my ******(#)(#)(#)(#)@aol.com as my only contact email throughout vbulletin forum software

* = letter
    (#) = number

the header of email i get when a member registered goes:

Return-Path: <nobody@vps.****-*******.com>
    Received: from rly-yb02.mx.aol.com (rly-yb02.mail.aol.com [172.18.205.134]) by air-yb03.mail.aol.com (v112_r1.4) with ESMTP id MAILINYB31-181451017db39a; Tue, 19 Sep 2006 12:17:57 -0400
    Received: from vps.****-*******.com (vps.****-*******.com [207.210.81.236]) by rly-yb02.mx.aol.com (v112_r1.4) with ESMTP id MAILRELAYINYB25-181451017db39a; Tue, 19 Sep 2006 12:16:31 -0400
    Received: from nobody by vps.****-*******.com with local (Exim 4.52)
    id 1GPiFL-0006qP-6R
    for ******(#)(#)(#)(#)@aol.com; Tue, 19 Sep 2006 11:14:55 -0500
    To: ******(#)(#)(#)(#)@aol.com
    Subject: New Member - Forum Name
    Auto-Submitted: auto-generated
    Message-ID: <200609191655.d95d50883284@www.*****.*****-*******.com>
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
    X-Priority: 3
    X-Mailer: vBulletin Mail via PHP
    Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 11:14:55 -0500
    X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report
    X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - vps.****-*******.com
    X-AntiAbuse: Original Domain - aol.com
    X-AntiAbuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [99 501] / [47 12]
    X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - vps.****-*******.com
    X-Source: „L@¨íÿ¿
    X-Source-Args: /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -DSSL
    X-Source-Dir: *****-*******.com:/public_html/forum
    X-AOL-IP: 207.210.81.236
    X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE: 0:2:299592423:15032385
    X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT: 0

Is something wrong with my email headers, i have also contacted my host who says everything mail wise is being sent.

I aslo know the problem is with these email providers but i still want my emails going to the right place as this could seriously affect my forum, so any work around would also suffice.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Please see this page for help troubleshooting email problems:

Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Photoshopfreak
      • Sep 2006
      • 3.6.x

I have read that, the only thing i have not done is use SMTP but is that likely to resolve this issue?

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

Did you do the -f? Did you enable the vB email logging?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Photoshopfreak
          • Sep 2006
          • 3.6.x

Did you do the -f?
          Yea i enabled it but right after i failed to get any emails even in my junk folder.

Did you enable the vB email logging?
          Yea i believe so, should i check through that log?

BTW your fast at responding, thanks

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

I honestly don't see how enabling the 'f option would cause this. The next step is to check your logs and the server logs.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Photoshopfreak
              • Sep 2006
              • 3.6.x

I honestly don't see how enabling the 'f option would cause this.
              Maybe there was another reason i got no mail after enabling it, i will re-try using this option.

The next step is to check your logs and the server logs.
              Ok, is there anything specific i should be looking for?

Also to cut down on possible communication problems, i just want to say that i truely believe all mail is being sent & i have tested this & recieved the mail on various email providers, the sole problem seems to be that the mail sent to various email providers goes into the junk or spam folder. Could this be because i am using an @aol.com address to send mail from my site instead of an @mywebsite.com address? is it possible to use an @aol.com address & have all email go to mostly the correct folder on various email providers?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

Yes, it's possible they could be filtered out for the @aol.com address. You cannot force your emails past spam filters. If there was a surefire way to do this, don't you think all the spammers would be doing it?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Photoshopfreak
                  • Sep 2006
                  • 3.6.x

Yes, it's possible they could be filtered out for the @aol.com address.
                  It appears @aol.com did cause some spam filters to flag my emails because after using @mydomain.com some emails that were blocked before were getting through.

You cannot force your emails past spam filters. If there was a surefire way to do this, don't you think all the spammers would be doing it?
                  That's true, spammers would be too, however the difference is that they are sending spam & i'm just trying to contact users that request the email(s) but it's getting flagged as spam & surely there must be some error in either the way VB sends mail or the language used in the emails to trigger filters with various email providers, i truely believe theres atleast some way to minimise emails getting flagged as spam to some degree, even though this is an error with the email providers filtering & VB could say "Hey, what can we do?" i do feel that something could be done even in a small way to help VB customers because they can't use the software in the way they intended.

Anyway the only sure fire way for users to use my forums was to disable email verifaction, which i have done.

I do appeciate your support & fast response times & do truely believe VB rocks despite what i said, it's just what i pointed out seems to be the biggest pitfall of VB (i know other forum systems have this problem too)!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...