Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chippy06
    • Sep 2006

Forum Thread View

I want to block certain users from viewing the posts but i want them to be able to see the forum and thread contents but everytime i set the permissions it does not allow that person to see the threads, it says that there are no new posts but there are posts in the box
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

To be honest, this makes no sense.

You do not want them to see the posts, but you want them to see the content of the threads.

Please be more specific.

Comment

• chippy06
      • Sep 2006

we want people to see that threads are there in forums but not so that people can open and read the post

Comment

• Onimua
        • Apr 2005

Admin CP > Forums & Moderators > Forum Permissions

Pick whichever usergroup you'd like to change the general permissions of, and in whatever forum. You'l be taken to a screen that gives you the list of permissions the selected usergroup has for that forum; you can change them there.

More information can be found here: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/u...anaging_forum_
        Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

• Floris
          • Dec 2001

Onimua I have to correct you. I believe the user means that he wants a list of threads but not the ability to read content.

This is a usergroup option.

can view forum: yes
          can view thread content: no
          can view threads by others: yes

Comment

• chippy06
            • Sep 2006

done that, still does not work but it dont matter because now i cant get on my site cause it has not got php 4.3

Comment

• arlomedia
              • Nov 2006
              • 3.6.x

a suggestion to make this more intuitive

I spent quite a while trying to get this behavior with vBulletin, then came here and found numerous posts asking the same question. Indeed, the "yes / no / yes" configuration does the trick. However, I don't seem to be the only one who didn't find this intuitive.

I think it would be easier if you simply reversed the second and third option in your control panel, like this:

can view forum: yes
              can view threads by others: yes
              can view thread content: no

When I was setting this up, it didn't occur to me that "can view threads by others" was required ... I had already set "can view forum" and that seemed like enough ... in fact, the "threads by others" option didn't make much sense to me since I was editing permissions for unregistered users and, by definition, all threads are "by others".

Anyway, I see now that the "view forum" and "view threads by others" options work hand in hand, and the "view thread content" does something a bit different. I'm pretty sure that if they had been ordered as shown I would have figured this out on my own, and I'm guessing some of the people asking about it here would have, too.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...