X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clearchanel
    • May 2001
    • 3.8.x

poll question charcter length

How do I go about increasing the number of characters permitted for a poll question. I beleive it is set to around 85 charcters now which are a few short of a question I would like to poll my members on.

Thanks in advance.
  • clearchanel
    • May 2001
    • 3.8.x

Is this possible to do?

Comment

• Reverend
      • Jul 2002
      • 4.2.x

vBulletin Options > Poll and Thread Rating Options > Poll Option Length.
      Techzonez - Tech News
      Techzonez Forums - Tech Community

Comment

• clearchanel
        • May 2001
        • 3.8.x

I apprently missed that option. After making the suggested changes, I can still only post approx 85 characters as the poll question.

I reckeon the next suggest is to remove any hacks I have installed.

Comment

• clearchanel
          • May 2001
          • 3.8.x

Is there no solution to this issue?

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

The top limit is 100 characters. Changing this requires manually altering the type for the 'question' field in the 'poll' table.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• clearchanel
              • May 2001
              • 3.8.x

Here is a poll question I posted in Sep of 2002

'Should a dog born in a country that bans tail docking be allowed to be shown at all AKC events'

this poll question contains 94 charcaters. This poll was posted using whatever version of vB software available in Sept of 2002, I don't quite remember the version as I have been using vB for many years.

Here are the results at an attempt to recreate the same poll today using vB 3.6

'Should a dog born in a country that bans tail docking be allowed to be shown at all A'

as you can see, this same poll question has been cut off at 85 characters. I changed the character count to 100 in the ACP with the same results, I can only post a question containing 85 or less characters.

I'm at a loss to figure out what might be wrong, your assistance is greatly appericated!

Comment

• Colin F
                • May 2004

The database structure has changed quite a bit since 2002
                Run this query to alter the maximum input size for that database field:
                ALTER TABLE `poll` CHANGE `question` `question` VARCHAR( 255 ) NOT NULL;
                Last edited by Colin F; Wed 5 Dec '07, 12:38am.
                Best Regards
                Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• clearchanel
                  • May 2001
                  • 3.8.x

I ran the query as suggested and received the following error messsage:

An error occurred while attempting to execute your query. The following information was returned.
                  error number: 1064
                  error desc: You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'NOTNULL' at line 1
                  Last edited by clearchanel; Wed 30 Aug '06, 5:13pm.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    Former Customer Support Manager
                    • Jul 2000

Try this:

ALTER TABLE `poll` CHANGE `question` `question` VARCHAR( 255 ) NOT NULL;
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• IHL
                      • Dec 2004

I would also like to be able to increase the length. I ran this query, I think. I tried it in phpmyadmin which is the only utility my host allows.

The query seemed to work but the poll length hasn't increased. Could you briefly explain how to do this in phpmyadmin?

I also modified the newpoll template but I still seem to be limited to the 100 characters.

Thanks.
                      Last edited by IHL; Wed 5 Dec '07, 5:33am.

Comment

• Michael Dengler
                        • Feb 2004

Admin Control Panel (vBulletin 3.6.7 PL1) -> vBulletin Options -> Message Posting and Editing Options -> Maximum Characters Per Thread/Post Title

Increasing the maximum characters for thread and post title also increases the max characters for poll question.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...