X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimMM
    • Aug 2006
    • 3.6.x

Need to upload MySQL and PHP to host?

I downloaded vBulletin 3.6.0 and it notified me in red text the requirements for PHP and MySQL versions. Do I need to upload these or newer versions of PHP and MySQL to my ASO host server and to what folder? If not, how do I control what versions of PHP and MySQL, vB uses?
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

You'd need to ask your provider to update if they are not at the mininum.,

Comment

• JimMM
      • Aug 2006
      • 3.6.x

Thanks, I just got this back from my provider's tech support in case it helps anyone else that's installing vB3.6.0 and hosting with ASO and wondering how to meet the version requirement which I couldn't determine how to establish from reading the vB manual and install doc. Maybe all hosts run these as a matter of course ... who knew?

Jim,
      We are currently running PHP 4.4.3 natively, and PHP5 as a fastcgi. MySQL version 4.1.21 is the version we are running. Let me know if you need further assistance.
      Mack

Mack J. Jenkins,II
      ASO Technical Support

Originally posted by Zachery
      You'd need to ask your provider to update if they are not at the mininum.,

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

Those versions are beyond the mininum requirements.

Comment

• oldedit
          • Mar 2004
          • 3.6.x

Verio is running php 4.3.10 vs. vB's requirement of 4.3.3. Critical? They upgraded me to 4.4.2.

It's running MySql 3.23.54. I'm trying to get them to upgrade?
          I need to backup MySql. then they will upgrade. They're sending instructions on backing up MySql. Then they'll upgrade. I've always liked Verio support.
          Hard to find consultant who will do the MySql upgrade.
          Apache is 1.3.37, which I think is the vB requirement?

tia
          Last edited by oldedit; Wed 23 Aug '06, 9:00am.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

You PHP version is fine. However MySQL does need to be upgraded to at least 4.0.16. There is no excuse for any host to be running such an ancient version of MySQL.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• oldedit
              • Mar 2004
              • 3.6.x

Thanks,

I've seen somebody say to backup mysql outside of vB's myphpadmin because php might time out on large databases. What's a large one? I have 30,000 threads and 390,000 posts and 13,000 members. Can I do the backup in vB and then upgrade mysql so you guys can upgrade vb?

tia

Comment

• Steve Machol
                Former Customer Support Manager
                • Jul 2000

That will almost certainly timeout with phpMyAdmin. The only consistently reliable method of backing up and restoring a database is with shell access via telnet or ssh. This is because backing up with a PHP script like that in the Admin CP or phpMyAdmin can result in PHP timeout errors and an incomplete backup file.

Please see the instructions here:

Backup:

Restore:

If you don't have telnet or SSH access, some people have reported success with these scripts:

MySQLDumper:

MySQLHotxcopy:

Bigdump:
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• oldedit
                  • Mar 2004
                  • 3.6.x

Thanks, Steve. Good stuff as usual.

Comment

• oldedit
                    • Mar 2004
                    • 3.6.x

MySql backup, vB upgrades intimidate

I've read all the documentation, and I've hired a unix consultant to come in and go through the first MySql backup with me. Then I'm going to hire vB to do the upgrade and hope that they can make the upgrade fit in our template, which frames vB in the first column and across the top and bottom. Meanwhile, I'm studying Unix (Free BSD), which is the operating system on my Mac and the Verio server in an effort to understand more about what's going on.

vB is so darned complex for a non techie, and I've owned this thing almost five years and have been administering it for two. Appreciate the help on the forums, but it doesn't give me the confidence to do this myself, yet.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...