X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimMM
    • Aug 2006
    • 3.6.x

PHP4 or 5 with vB 3.6.0?

I just purchased vB and the download area is asking if my server needs a shebang if it runs PHP as a CGI ... I asked my hosting company (ASO) and they said they run PHP4 natively and PHP5 as a fastCGI. They didn't know what a shebang was and they don't support vBulletin questions, so I'm asking here. Should I run PHP4 natively or PHP5 as a fastCGI with vBulleting 3.6.0. Oh, and is a shebang the same as a path to where the CGI resides?

<edit> I figured out what a shebang is, so no need to answer that part of the question, but I'd like to know if php5 is stable enough to use with vB3.6.0 if it's even supported.
    Last edited by JimMM; Mon 21 Aug '06, 11:23am. Reason: add to message
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

The shebang points to the interpreter. This is usually set in the PHP configuration such that you don't need a shebang in each file. Try it without the shebang first... you probably don't need it.

Comment

• JimMM
      • Aug 2006
      • 3.6.x

OK thanks, I went without it.

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
      The shebang points to the interpreter. This is usually set in the PHP configuration such that you don't need a shebang in each file. Try it without the shebang first... you probably don't need it.

Comment

• feldon23
        • Nov 2001
        • 3.7.x

In the case of the shebang (#!) generally if you don't know what it is, you don't need it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...