X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Herc
    • Nov 2003
    • 3.6.x

Not receiving emails when new members register

All of a sudden, I don't receive notification emails when new members register....Not quite sure if this happened since I upgraded but this is the case...
    I also sent myself an email through the admin cp and did not receive it
    Do I need to turn on and specify in SMTP...?I never had to before because it was handle throuh PHP....

I'm not even sure if this option was there in admin cp when I had VB3.5...

options['use_smtp']" colSpan=2>SMTP Email
    Set this option to yes to use an SMTP server rather than the internal PHP mail() function.
    Yes No

options['smtp_host']" colSpan=2>SMTP Host
    If you've enabled SMTP mail, please specify the host here. You may find that specifying an IP Address rather than a domain name, results in better performance. Example: smtp.gmail.com

options['smtp_port']" colSpan=2>SMTP Port
    If you've enabled SMTP mail, please specify the port here.

options['smtp_user']" colSpan=2>SMTP Username
    If you've enabled SMTP mail and your server requires authentication, please specify your username here.

options['smtp_pass']" colSpan=2>SMTP Password
    If you've enabled SMTP mail and your server requires authentication, please specify your password here.

options['smtp_tls']" colSpan=2>SMTP Secure Connection
    If you've enabled SMTP mail and your server requires a TLS connection, please set this to yes. This requires OpenSSL support to be compiled into PHP.
    Yes No
    Last edited by Herc; Sat 19 Aug '06, 8:39am.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Make sure you have a valid webmaster's email address in your Admin CP settings and that there is only one address. Then try this:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Email Options -> Enable "-f" Parameter -> Yes

Then try the vB email functions.

If it still doesn't work, then this is either a server and/or mailbox issue. By default vB uses PHP's mail() function for all its email and uses the SMTP server specified in php.ini. If PHP and the mail server are configured correctly then email will work. You can view the details here: http://us3.php.net/mail/

To troubleshoot any email problems you will need to view the mail logs on the server to see what happened to those emails that don't work. Once vB sends it to PHP it's in the hands of the server. If you are on a shared server you may need to ask your host to look through the logs for you.

Another thing to keep in mind is that many ISPs and mail clients are putting in very aggressive spam filters. For instance, AOL will not accept emails from domains that do not have reverse DNS setup. It's possible these emails are being placed into a spam folder or are being filtered.

Alternately you can switch to the SMTP mail option to see if this works better for you. These settings are here:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Email Options -> SMTP Email -> Yes

Then fill out the appropriate SMTP settings for your account and server.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Herc
      • Nov 2003
      • 3.6.x

Thanks, Steve....The "f parameter" actually did the trick....
      Funny thing is, I never had to do this with 3.5

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...