• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MajorFm.com
    • Mar 2005

RSS Feed Posting Robot - Enclosure Node

Example in rss feed:

Code:
    <enclosure url="http://www.xxxxxxx.com/play/159075/mariah_carey.asx?timeStamp=2006-08-16%2010:26:22" length="16" type="application/asx" />
    You can specify exactly how these items appear and any item from a feed can be inserted by using {rss:fieldname} where 'fieldname' corresponds to an XML node in the feed.
    I'm desperatly trying to use this node, i have tried things like:

{rss:item:enclosure:url}
    {rss:item:enclosure}
    {rss:enclosure}

What should it be...?
  • Cartifex
    • Nov 2006
    • 3.6.x

Why everytime this answer is asked noone ever answer?

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

These are available on all feeds

{rss:title} - Displays the title of the item
      {rss:decription} - Displays the short description
      {rss:link} - Provides a link back to the original item.

These are not available on all feeds. The feed should be previewed before being saved to ensure that these are populated

{rss:content:encoded} - Displays the full text of the item. This applies to RSS2 feeds and ATOM feeds only.
      {rss:dc:creator} - Displays the name of the item author
      {rss:pubDate} - Displays the date the item was published
      {rss:category} - Displays the category that the item is in
      {rss:guid} - Displays the permanent link for the item.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Cartifex
        • Nov 2006
        • 3.6.x

Steve, this doesn't help nor answer my question.

rss:link doesn't point to the RSS enclosure node.

For example when you create a podcast using vbulletin, the first attachment or the URL will be found in the rss enclosure url attrib.

For example:

This feed contains mp3 preview of songs in the enclosure url attrib. I want to be able to extract them use Vbulletin RSS Feed Manager and post them as a link (and no, rss:link doesn't point to the preview.)

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

I gave you all the RSS variables I and the rest of the vB team are aware of. I'm sorry that this does not meet your needs.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Cartifex
            • Nov 2006
            • 3.6.x

Ask the person who coded the podcast setting in the forum manager, he will understand what I mean.

The RSS Feed Manager is incomplete and broken if we can't access the enclosure url... I will file a bug report.

From wikipedia:

RSS enclosures are a way of attaching multimedia content to RSS feeds by providing the URL of a file associated with an entry, such as an MP3 file to a music recommendation or a photo to a diary entry. Unlike e-mail attachments, enclosures are merely hyperlinks to files, the actual data is not embedded into the feed. Support and implementation among aggregators varies: if the software understands the specified file format, it may automatically download and display the content, otherwise provide a link to it or silently ignore it.

The addition of enclosures to RSS, as first implemented by Dave Winer in late 2000 [1], was an important prerequisite for the emergence of podcasting, arguably the most common use of the feature as of 2006. In podcasts and related technologies enclosures are not merely attachments to entries, but provide the main content of a feed.

Syntax

In RSS 2.0, the syntax for the <enclosure> tag, an optional child of the <item> element, is as follows:
            <enclosure url="http://domain.com/file.mp3" length="123456789" type="audio/mpeg" />
            where the value of the url attribute is a URL of a file, length is its size in bytes, and type its mime type.
            There may only be a single <enclosure> per <item>.
            The forum manager podcast settings supports enclosure. GOOD

The RSS Feed Manager Bot doesn't. BAD

Comment

• Alfa1
              • Dec 2005
              • 3.8.x

Has this been resolved? I did not see a bug tracker entry for this. Does vbulletin's RSS poster robot now includes attachments?
              I buy 420 forums

Comment

• DelphiVillage
                • Apr 2002
                • 4.1.x

a file ending in *.asx is NOT an RSS feed but a video file ..... also it would be dangerous to include attachments from third party sources without first checking them ... You don't want a virus or other rubbisch on your board do you ?

Comment

• Alfa1
                  • Dec 2005
                  • 3.8.x

RSS2 posts go into the moderation que, so they will be reviewed. The RSS2 sources are reliable and official enough to not worry about virusses.
                  I buy 420 forums

Comment

• pigsy
                    • Jan 2001

I'm also wanting to access the enclosure url - has anyone managed to do this? Quite a few RSS feeds I find are using this, and I can't set them up as a consequence.

Comment

• hbui
                      • Dec 2007

me too

Comment

• Dimoks
                        • Aug 2005
                        • 3.8.x

any news?

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                          vBulletin Support
                          • Aug 2002
                          • 5.7.X

Are you still running 3.6?
                          Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                          - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...