Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Was it working before? And then it suddenly stoped working? What exactly is happening?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• mikeinjersey
      • Apr 2005

I really dont know...

The database errors...will they only be logged when MYSQL is enabled? Because most of the time when I tried trouble-shooting it , I disabled MYSQL so that database errors would occur automatically.

I just disabled it and found only 1 database error from a user...it was logged to the server..But there should of been more then one considering all the users I have on my forums. For instance, If i would of have email logging on , instead of server logging, I would of received atleast 25 DB error emails within the same time.

I also tried logging in as my admin name but with a wrong password...I did that twice and no log was ever created for this...which it should of been.

Would be great if we could implement some kind of trouble shooting for this service as I KNOW im doing everything correctly.

Comment

• Cyberdusk
        • Dec 2005
        • 3.5.x

I'm facing the same problem. The log files are set in Vbulletin options and directory is set to 0777 for sure. But the log files are not being created. When entering "Log Manager" I get: No log file defined in vBulletin Options. But it is set

Comment

• mikeinjersey
          • Apr 2005

Yeah, I gave up on this dude since I was like the only one complaining it seemed like. I know what im doing aswell and had full path and permissions up correctly. The best I could do is have the errors log sporadically.. It would log a few here and there..but that was it. I switched it back to Email only and I have no issues.

Would be great if some kind of debugging could be implemented for this.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

This does work if it's setup correctly and you have not installed any hacks or plugins.

If you have installed any Plugins or Products, first disable these to see if you still have this problem.

Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

If you still have this problem with plugins disabled, check the includes/xml dire3ctory and make sure only the original vB files are in there and none from any add-ons. Then if you still have a problem and have not installed any hacks (which includes portals), fill out a support ticket at:

Be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP, phpMyAdmin and FTP. Please also include a complete description of the problem.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Jacqueline
              • Mar 2005
              • 3.7.x

Originally posted by mikeinjersey
              Darnit, I still cant get the errors to log to my server. Im doing everything correctly.

/home/forums/vbulletinlogs/error

the "vbulletinlogs" folder is 777. I have email logging turned off. It should be reporting IN there and it isnt. Can someone help? Im using a unix/linux server..the server is remotely hosted but I have complete control over it.

BTW, the folders before "vbulletinlogs" which are /home/ and /forums/ are both 755. I dont think that should make a difference plus it would be a security risk if I made them 777.
              I do have this working on my forum. I ran across your post and it looks like what you have should work. These are the settings on mine. Perhaps they'll help.

The logs directory is set to 777
              I have three different filenames for the different types of errors.

Database Errors: /home/username/public_html/forums/logs/dberrors
              Admin Control Panel Failed Logins: /home/username/public_html/forums/logs/acpfailedlogins
              PHP Errors: /home/username/public_html/forums/logs/phpwarnings

Max log file size: 1048576

Disable database Error Email Sending: No

I hope that helps!
              ~ Jacqueline

Baby Talk Zone

Comment

• mikeinjersey
                • Apr 2005

I dont understand why you have this set to No? Why would u want email and database errors togethe? Plus i thought once one is enabled, the other isnt.

Comment

• Jacqueline
                  • Mar 2005
                  • 3.7.x

Originally posted by mikeinjersey
                  I dont understand why you have this set to No? Why would u want email and database errors togethe? Plus i thought once one is enabled, the other isnt.

Database errors typically mean the site is down. I have my pocket pc set to receive email on that account, so it is an immediate notification of problems. That is my preference, but as per the option, you can set it however works best for you. Enabling one does not disable the other, they are separate options.
                  ~ Jacqueline

Baby Talk Zone

Comment

• mikeinjersey
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Elleth Faewen
                    I have my pocket pc set to receive email on that account, so it is an immediate notification of problems.
                    Sounds cool.. Is it a Treo? Im thinkin about getting a Palm Treo soon. The newer ones seem to have alot of cool functions. Not sure what other kinds of pocket pc's there are out there though... Blackberries or are they the same thing? All this new technology is gettin more confusing by the day..lol

Comment

• Jacqueline
                      • Mar 2005
                      • 3.7.x

It's a Cingular Pocket PC, the 8125. I had a blackberry, but prefer the ppc. It just depends on your needs. Having pocket word and excel is a biggy for me, and I use Exchange at work, so the PPC works well.

There's a lot of options out there, and different phones with different providers.

I hope the settings help. If you need to test it, you can put in an invalid password for your admin control panel and that should log the failed acp file.
                      ~ Jacqueline

Baby Talk Zone

Comment

• planck
                        • Dec 2010
                        • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Jacqueline
                        I do have this working on my forum. I ran across your post and it looks like what you have should work. These are the settings on mine. Perhaps they'll help.

The logs directory is set to 777
                        I have three different filenames for the different types of errors.

Database Errors: /home/username/public_html/forums/logs/dberrors
                        Admin Control Panel Failed Logins: /home/username/public_html/forums/logs/acpfailedlogins
                        PHP Errors: /home/username/public_html/forums/logs/phpwarnings

Max log file size: 1048576

I hope that helps!
                        Thanks for providing those settings.
                        I set mine as you described granting write permission "777" only to the log directory and it work on first trial test.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...