Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikeinjersey
    • Apr 2005

Log Database Errors to a File ?

When I set this option in the Admin CP. Do i have to specify the file name aswell (/home/forums/error.log) or just the folder path? (/home/forums/ )

please let me know.. It doesnt specify.

thx
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Use:

/home/forums/error
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• mikeinjersey
      • Apr 2005

Steve, I forgot to ask... Should i manually create that "error" file on the server...or will it do it automatically whenever a error is recieved?

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

No, don't create the file. The system will whnen an errpor is generated, assuming the directory is world-writable ('777'.)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• mikeinjersey
          • Apr 2005

Its 755 , is that good enough?

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

Nope. 777.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• mikeinjersey
              • Apr 2005

thx brother. case closed.

Comment

• mikeinjersey
                • Apr 2005

Darnit, I still cant get the errors to log to my server. Im doing everything correctly.

/home/forums/vbulletinlogs/error

the "vbulletinlogs" folder is 777. I have email logging turned off. It should be reporting IN there and it isnt. Can someone help? Im using a unix/linux server..the server is remotely hosted but I have complete control over it.

BTW, the folders before "vbulletinlogs" which are /home/ and /forums/ are both 755. I dont think that should make a difference plus it would be a security risk if I made them 777.
                Last edited by mikeinjersey; Wed 16 Aug '06, 11:57am.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

It works for me. I suspect you are not using the true path. On Unix/Linux systems you can find the complete path name by telnetting or sshing into your server, going to that directory and typing:

pwd

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• mikeinjersey
                    • Apr 2005

I just found out what the problem was.

In my hosts.allow file, I only allowed the following IP addresses to connect to my server.

ALL : my.actual.ip.address : allow
                    ALL : localhost 127.0.0.1 : allow
                    ALL : ALL : deny
                    The "ALL : ALL : deny" must of not allowed vbulletin to write to my server.. Is there anyway to find out the right IP address from vbulletin to "allow" so that it could have access.

Because I changed the bottom one to "ALL : ALL : allow" and then it worked.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

That's surprising. To my knowledge this should have nothing to do with an IP address. I really don't know what to recommend.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• mikeinjersey
                        • Apr 2005

Maybe if others try it, they could see what I mean... You have to restart apache after the changes I believe.

Comment

• mikeinjersey
                          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                          It works for me. I suspect you are not using the true path. On Unix/Linux systems you can find the complete path name by telnetting or sshing into your server, going to that directory and typing:

pwd
                          For some stupid reason its not working again. Does the path have to be the same path in which the /vbulletin/ installation is in? Or can it be any desirable path?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                            • Jul 2000

It does not have to be the same path as your vBulletin.

If it was working once and it's not working now, then something happened on that server. Check the directoryu permissions and path again.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• mikeinjersey
                              • Apr 2005

I know im doing every single thing correctly. I've dealt with FTP and server for 5 years now.

Anyway to troubleshoot this option? If not , that would be a great addition in a future upgrade.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...