Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tgralex
    • Jun 2006

What is the logic of "New Posts" link?
    Users are keep asking me how it works, because often it behaves really weird...
    Sometime you login, but not read anything, disconnect, login again - and all "new treads" are gone...

What is the logic here? And how can I control it?

Thanks!
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

It depends on the read marking system you are using:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> General Settings -> Thread/Forum Read Marking Type

The "inactivity" option will mark read all posts after the user's session expires (default 15 minutes). The "database" options will maintain read markers through multiple sessions.

Comment

• tgralex
      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
      It depends on the read marking system you are using:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> General Settings -> Thread/Forum Read Marking Type

The "inactivity" option will mark read all posts after the user's session expires (default 15 minutes). The "database" options will maintain read markers through multiple sessions.
      I can tell that the behavior changes as I change that option.
      And that is much better, thanks!

But what I liked about the first option(Inactivity/Cookie Based), that it was showing threads I read in "not bold" and the ones I haven't seen yet in "bold". Now - it shows only new threads and no read ones... Any way to add that behavior to the "Database (automatic forum marking)" or to "Database (no automatic forum marking)" option ?

Comment

• Jake Bunce
        • Dec 2000
        • 3.6.x

Not with the database method. Once you read a thread it is removed from the "new posts" list.

Comment

• tgralex
          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
          Not with the database method. Once you read a thread it is removed from the "new posts" list.
          At least new threads are not gone mysteriously and people can see what they haven't seen during last X days.

Thanks!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...