X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • polira
    • Sep 2003
    • 3.5.x

3.6 upgrade on large forum?

My forums have roughly 10 million posts. Do I need to run the upgrade process manually in anyway (ie modifications to the post table that may stall) or am I good to go pending a db backup?
  • Colin F
    • May 2004

The upgrade to 3.6 does have a few queries that will most likely time out with 10 million posts.

What you'd have to do is run those queries per SSH and remove them from the upgrade script.
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• polira
      • Sep 2003
      • 3.5.x

Are there instructions for that anywhere, or a switch in the upgrade script to display on screen which queries to run manually at what point? If not, it may be something worth looking into for future upgrades.

Comment

• Colin F
        • May 2004

As far as I know a switch or something similiar is being looked into, but currently there's no such thing, sorry.
        Best Regards
        Colin Frei

Comment

• ColinP
          • Jun 2002

How about a 3 million post forum? I'm keen to get an upgrade done over the next couple of months but I need to minimise the downtime.

Will there be a problem with a forum of this size and do you have any estimates on how long an upgrade might take?

Threads: 216,988, Posts: 3,661,390, Members: 51,451

Comment

• Colin F
            • May 2004

A different customer with a 2.8 million post board did use the upgrade script, but had over 8 hours for only the first step.
            Best Regards
            Colin Frei

Comment

• ColinP
              • Jun 2002

That's fine - I don't want to get halfway through a process and find it dies on me. That's all.

Comment

• InfidelMatt
                • Nov 2005
                • 3.5.x

Originally posted by ColinP
                That's fine - I don't want to get halfway through a process and find it dies on me. That's all.

It totally depends on your hardware. I have a 3.6M post board and the two post queries took 40 minutes each.

Matt

Comment

• PSS
                  • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Colin F
                  The upgrade to 3.6 does have a few queries that will most likely time out with 10 million posts.

What you'd have to do is run those queries per SSH and remove them from the upgrade script.
                  Would it be impossible to reveal those queries or give a link to a post explaining the steps so that I wouldn't have to learn the source code to do the upgrade properly?

Comment

• eoc_Jason
                    • Dec 2001

Even if the browser times out, mysql will continue to run the query. It's best to have a shell open with mysql or use phpmyadmin and do a 'show processlist' to see what it is doing...

Comment

• stryka
                      • Aug 2002

Just a FYI... not sure why VB doesn't announce this somewhere for large forums...

Anyhow... here is the post that others found which explains what queries to run...

VBULLETIN UPGRADE TIMING OUT

Comment

• xmlxp
                        • Jun 2004

why doesnt vb team provide for large boards an upgrade script can be run via SSH instead of web browser ?

we are the owners of large boards need a strong solutions for upgrading

Comment

• PSS
                          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Colin F

I ask again: Would it be impossible to reveal those queries or give a link to a post explaining the steps so that I wouldn't have to learn the source code to do the upgrade properly?

Comment

• Mark.B
                            vBulletin Support
                            • Feb 2004
                            • 6.0.X

Originally posted by PSS
                            I ask again: Would it be impossible to reveal those queries or give a link to a post explaining the steps so that I wouldn't have to learn the source code to do the upgrade properly?
                            Have a look HERE.

This will work, however afterwards, your report post function will not create threads correctly unless you make further changes to your POST table as detailed HERE.

Worked great for me. I too couldn't upgrade the 'normal' way due to too many posts.
                            MARK.B
                            vBulletin Support
                            ------------
                            My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                            My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Colin F
                              • May 2004

Originally posted by xmlxp
                              why doesnt vb team provide for large boards an upgrade script can be run via SSH instead of web browser ?

we are the owners of large boards need a strong solutions for upgrading
                              We're looking into that.
                              Best Regards
                              Colin Frei

Comment