How to safely allow embedded YouTube videos?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • malmazan
    • Jan 2006
    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by the geek
    A bbcode entry will not be controllable via usergroups, resolve URL titles ...It wont let you specify forums,
    True, but that's also true for embedding external images and such.

Originally posted by the geek
    it won't work unless the user wraps tags.
    Tags are the standard way vB works, so having two different ways to embed things (say an image or a video) is confusing. I can understand somebody could want control over who and where can embed videos or other media, but to me it would make more sense to have a media icon that the user would have to click on, just like it's done with an external image.

As to mods in general, there is the question of whether the author will keep updating the mod for future. By the time vB4 comes around you may have gotten tired of your mod (which does not seem to require code changes, which is good news for an admin) and it may not work anymore, which means that this way of embedding media may not work, and hence users may have to learn a different way of embedding them.

So personally I avoid mods unless what the mod does is an absolute must for the forum.
    Vote for these issues:

Comment

• the geek
      • Jun 2003
      • 1.1.x

AME isn't really that much different. You can place media manually in [ame] bbtags or AME will do it automatically for you. Then AME parses the content when shown using vBs bbcode parser. The difference is that it is done automatically for you and your users and you can have the flexibility to not limit users to 1 tag per media site (right now, there are something like 170 definitions to choose from).

Your comment regarding maintaining the mod is true, but at least ame can uninstall itself and change its tags to URL ones unlike manually creating a bbcode tag. The likelihood of ame being able to work after a gargantuan upgrade like 4.0 is about as likely as a manual bbcode.

Anyway, like I said - to each their own. Modifications are designed to extend vb functionality and allow you to customise vb functionality to meet your users needs. I just don't like limiting users experience with (imo) a substandard method when there are clearly better options available. That is of course clearly subjective and simply my opinion (I too am not a fan of mod for mods sake) but at least I have experience with using bbcode for this and using a mod (albeit one I wrote, but also a 2x winner of mod of the month and a significant number of happy users!). In the end, choose the option that works best for you!

nJoy
      My Twitterings

Comment

• Chevy II
        • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
        You can use the embed code on YouTube's site to make a BB code:

Admin CP -> Custom BB Codes -> Add New BB Code

Title - YouTube
        Tag - youtube
        Replacement:

Code:
        <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/{param}"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/{param}" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
        Example - [youtube]JFwCCL0Vh6U[/youtube]

Description - Use the movie code from the YouTube URL in your browser. For example, http://youtube.com/watch?v=JFwCCL0Vh6U
        Thanks this worked like a charm, is there anyway to do this with photobucket video as well?

Thanks!

Comment

• ehmax
          • Dec 2004
          • 3.7.x

Anyone know why I am getting just a blank square where the youtube video should be? I have tried several videos.
          ehMac.ca: Canada's Mac Community!.vBulletin v.3.7.5

Comment

• SFC
            • Jan 2006

i'm getting the same thing, can't figure it out...

Comment

• Suiram
              • Dec 2008
              • 3.8.x

is there a different link or method to show high definition clips ?
              or is that not yet possible with youtube ?

so if there is a clip that is available in HD, i don't want the crappy low def version showing - which is what happens at the moment. (can i have the hd version embeded ?)

edit: also why is it that on my forums the youtube bbcode still functions when using the code tags ? isn't any code not supposed to be seen as code when using the code tags ?? what gives ??
              Last edited by Suiram; Sun 15 Feb '09, 5:02am.

Comment

• Suiram
                • Dec 2008
                • 3.8.x

Anybody here ?

hello ???

HELLO ???

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  Former Customer Support Manager
                  • Jul 2000

Sorry I have no idea what you are asking. Nonetheless since this is a modification it seems the appropriate place to ask would be over at www.vbulletin.org.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Suiram
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                    Sorry I have no idea what you are asking. Nonetheless since this is a modification it seems the appropriate place to ask would be over at www.vbulletin.org.
                    the youtube bbcode jake gave, works ok on my forums... i can embed clips directly into the thread - lovely. that's not the issue.

now, some months ago youtube finally went HD (high definition) and have clips that are larger then the current average ones. and i asked if there is a way (i don't think so atm) to embed the HD clips. what's not to understand ?
                    if there was a different link to a clip that would (i guess) be easy. atm a youtube clip has the same link for whichever quality one watches - so i assume it selects the quality somehow internally via it's webserver or whatever.

as for this being a modification ? really ?? aren't bbcodes part of vbulletin ?? i'm only using the bbcode not any mods that may have been linked to or talked about in the thread earlier by others.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

Yes, this would require a custom BB Code and the place to ask for help with this is over at www.vbulletin.org.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Suiram
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 3.8.x

i can not place this "[youtube]xxxxxxx[/youtube]" in my forum or else it tries to load a movie (which doesn't exist) and yes, i meant to use the x's. i want to describe (show) how to use the youtube code and not actually use it. this forum handles it ok, as you can clearly see. it didn't try to load a movie from youtube above. on my site it would.

now of course that's why one would use the code tags. but even there it tries to load the non existent movie. how is that possible ? i thought using the code tags does not execute any kind of code. it just shows it as text (which is what i want)

thank YOU

Comment

• Steve Machol
                          • Jul 2000

This is not a default vB feature. You need to post over at www.vbulletin.org for further help with this.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Lynne
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • Oct 2004

vb.org has a thread in the modifications forums for embedding hd youtube video using bbcode.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                            vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                            Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                            If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools &lt;- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• katim110
                              • Feb 2009

What code should I add in Replacement field (BB code) to put the whole url between [YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE] ?

for example:
                              [YOUTUBE]UiyQGphHgGc[/YOUTUBE]

BUT, I want to put the whole url

The Big Fight: In the upcoming elections, with too many alliances being formed, the arithmetic could work either way and almost all political parties are ner...

Code:
                              <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/{param}"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/{param}" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Comment

• feldon23
                                • Nov 2001
                                • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                                Horse pucky. bbCodes are built into the product and should be supported as such. The bbCode in question was posted by a Jelsoft employee.

It was disgraceful to see repeated posts by Jelsoft staff here:

trying to claim that a Youtube bbCode is a "third party addon that must be discussed at vBulletin.org". SUPPORT THE PRODUCT

Comment