How to safely allow embedded YouTube videos?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • malmazan
    • Jan 2006
    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Daky
    I just tried your bbcode, but ... for some reason all youtube videos on my site are showing this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/v/PEI2wuPN2uA&hl=es
    The main screen on bb was showing an example instead of the code. I have edited my original message. It should work now
    Vote for these issues:

Comment

• Daky
      • Jan 2006

Found differen solution.

tnx
      Last edited by Daky; Sun 27 Jul '08, 12:27am.

Comment

• NewbieGuy
        • Jan 2008

Jake bunce, for you.

Jake, that was great.

Even a dummy like me was able to do it.

I have 2 quick questions if I may.

First, I had a different code there that had a warning thingee that you had to click on to view the video, and it showed all this code which looked weird.

I did it the way you said here on the first page, and it just puts the player in the post and you play it. It looks MUCH better.

What I am thinking though is it better to have that disclaimer that the old way had, but without all the ugly code showing?

Lastly and more importantly, is there a way only I as ADMIN, can post videos like this?

I also just noticed that here as I am typing up this response, when I click to Italicize a word, it just does it. In my board which is 3.7.3 it puts the code in front of it like this example and you don't see the example like this, like you do here.

Do I need to set something to make it the way it works here?

Thanks

Thanks.

Comment

• parkranger
          • Sep 2008

I just get a white you tube space when i do it, do i need to give it time to load?

Comment

• peterska2
            • Oct 2003
            • 3.7.x

Make sure you are using the code correctly and using the video id only and not the full url of the video

Comment

• Floris
              • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Kerry-Anne
              Make sure you are using the code correctly and using the video id only and not the full url of the video
              I agree, bbcode for youtube should just require a video id.

Comment

• StangFreak
                • Oct 2008
                • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
                You can use the embed code on YouTube's site to make a BB code:

Admin CP -> Custom BB Codes -> Add New BB Code

Title - YouTube
                Tag - youtube
                Replacement:

Code:
                <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/{param}"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/{param}" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
                Example - [youtube]JFwCCL0Vh6U[/youtube]

Description - Use the movie code from the YouTube URL in your browser. For example, http://youtube.com/watch?v=JFwCCL0Vh6U
                Did a new BB Code for youtube and it worked great. Thanks. Anyone have the code for streetfire.net videos. I can't get that site to work.

Comment

• lille L
                  • Oct 2007

Thanks !! This was great !

Comment

• the stig
                    • Oct 2008

Is it possible to display youtube video in a post by youtube link? (example I would paste this --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbdZS...ture=rec-fresh and it'll turn into a screen?) .

I do not like to enable html

Thanks

Comment

• malmazan
                      • Jan 2006
                      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by the stig
                      Is it possible to display youtube video in a post by youtube link? (example I would paste this --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbdZS...ture=rec-fresh and it'll turn into a screen?) .

I do not like to enable html
                      The way I did it works the same with with a user pasting just the video id or the whole code copied from the YouTube box. vBulletin will strip everything and just leave the video id.
                      Vote for these issues:

Comment

• the geek
                        • Jun 2003
                        • 1.1.x

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=189267 is farrrrrr more user friendly and allows users to simply paste URLs of selected sites like Youtube without needing bbcode (then again I am biased).
                        My Twitterings

Comment

• malmazan
                          • Jan 2006
                          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by the geek
                          http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=189267 is farrrrrr more user friendly and allows users to simply paste URLs of selected sites like Youtube without needing bbcode (then again I am biased).
                          Of course you are, ¡¡you wrote it!!

Personally, I try to stay away from major plugins and modifications, specially if they require database changes, as the hole thing gets more complicated for updates and such.

The way to embed youtube video using the standard vB is good enough for me.
                          Vote for these issues:

Comment

• the geek
                            • Jun 2003
                            • 1.1.x

Couldn't see for the life of me how it would get more complicated for updates or anything else for that matter, but to each their own. My goal is simply to make forums easier for users. IMO using bbcode to put in the id of part a URL is not only counter intuitive, its a pain in the butt for users, it isn't extensible and prone to problems.

Anyhoo, like I said - to each their own

nJoy
                            My Twitterings

Comment

• malmazan
                              • Jan 2006
                              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by the geek
                              IMO using bbcode to put in the id of part a URL is not only counter intuitive, its a pain in the butt for users
                              Like I said before the way i do it with the standard vB, if a user pastes the complete YouTube code it works just as well, as the system strips the unneeded parts as they are HTML code.
                              Vote for these issues:

Comment

• the geek
                                • Jun 2003
                                • 1.1.x

mmkay. Lets just agree that we prefer things differently.

Having a bbcode that accepts the id of a URL is a far cry from the usability I am talking about. Even if you can still dump in the entire URL and think you will get consistent results. A bbcode entry will not be controllable via usergroups, resolve URL titles, ensure the video can even be embedded (an increasing amount of youtube videos will no longer embed)! It wont let you specify forums, it won't work unless the user wraps tags around the id and it wont allow you to add additional sites without adding more bbcode tags (bad idea).

Anyhooo... in the end its up to you and how your users use your site. IMO, the usability difference is very substantial and the reasons you gave for avoiding plugins misleading. My suggestion is to check out all options (there are now LOADS of embedding options on .org) and make an informed choice that fits your site objectives and your users needs
                                My Twitterings

Comment