X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swepics
    • Jul 2005
    • 3.5.x

Long time user gets "page not found"

I know I need to upgrade - and the upgrade has been bought - but due to being broke, we can't upgrade all of the additional sparklies we added to the site originally. So I hope someone will be kind.

Occasionally a user who has been a regular member for some time (in some cases years) will visit the site and get a "page not found" error. One was able to troubleshoot and fix the issue, but another who followed the same troubleshooting, still has the problem. When he surfs with a proxy, he can view the site.

I checked their IP and it is not banned, either in vBulletin or in our host's control panel. What could possibly cause this?
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

Have you checked your error_logs? If they were banned via vbulletin, they would see the site and be told they were banned - they would not get a page not found error.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• swepics
      • Jul 2005
      • 3.5.x

We know they're not banned. The strange part is that they can surf via a proxy just fine, but can't on their original IP address.

Comment

• res6cue
        • Nov 2010
        • 4.2.X

Sounds like a DNS issue with their ISP if they're getting "Page not found" errors but can reach your site through a proxy. Have them set their computer/router up to use OpenDNS and see if that resolves the issue...I suspect it will.

Comment

• swepics
          • Jul 2005
          • 3.5.x

Thanks! I will ask them to try it.

Would this also fix a problem where when they respond to a post they get redirected to an old thread from 2005? Ours is the only site that is causing issues for him.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...