Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 250sx
    • Apr 2002

my database is too big

According to my control panel, I have a 1.39gb date usage and 1.22gb attachment usage. I only set up one database so I assume this is all on one database. I need to switch hosts so I can upgrade b/c my current one is still on php4 instead of php5 with no plans on upgrading. Is there a way to break apart the database into smaller ones? Most ISPs I've looked at have max dbase size limits. What do I need to do?
  • ENF
    • Apr 2002

You should move the attachments to file storage instead of DB storage.

I don't have a How-To thread handy, but basically you need to set a location somehwere on in your hosting area and then tell the forum to move your attachments to that location. If you want to keep the attachments private (inaccessible by a random un-registered or authorized person) then put the new directory above your public_html directory, or whatever it may be called. You will likely need to adjust premissions to allow the VB system to write/read that new directory. If I can find a how-to thread easily, I'll come back and post it.

I would assume you have enough disk space to handle the 1.22GB of attachment files.

EDIT: Here's the VB Manual Page that should work for your version, I believe: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/a...orage_fs_to_db
    To be updated...

Comment

• 250sx
      • Apr 2002

thanks for your reply. I don't care if the attachments are public. My current host gives me 750mb total storage. My site is using around 600mb. Not sure why they don't gripe about my 3gb or so forum but I'm scared to rock the boat in that regard at least until I can get an alternative set up and running.

I can sacrifice the attachments if I MUST. My main concern is the 1.39gb forum itself. I really hate to archive anything since it's an invaluable resource for a relatively small community and goes back to 2001. Is there a way to split it up or something?

Comment

• ENF
        • Apr 2002

Originally posted by 250sx
        I can sacrifice the attachments if I MUST. My main concern is the 1.39gb forum itself. I really hate to archive anything since it's an invaluable resource for a relatively small community and goes back to 2001. Is there a way to split it up or something?
        I feel your pain as we have a forum like this as well that dates back to 2002. However, I am not aware of a way to split it up and keep it functional.

Maybe someone else reading has a better idea on what to do about your current situation. If it were me and I wanted to keep everything intact, I'd probably change hosting plans or get more storage allocated.
        To be updated...

Comment

• Dilly
          • Mar 2005

Find a proper host.

Splitting disk usage into web/db is horsesh*t.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...