X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nichja
    • May 2007

how do I make an independent copy of the forum

Hi,

I want to upgrade from version 3.5 to the latest stable version but I decided to make a copy of the forum to try the upgrade on copy of the forum. This copy will be on another domain but on the same filesystem as the "real" forum. The copy will use a different database.

These are the steps I have planned:
    - back up the DB and import it in the other database.
    - copy the forum folder to another location (this location is associated to another domain)
    - in the copy, edit config.php to make it use the second dabatabse
    - in the admin panel (in the copy), change the domain associated to the forum

Are these steps correct ? Will I be able to login in the copy of the forum to change the domain of the forum after copying the folder ?

I really need to be sure the copy is independent and that I try the upgrade there without risk

Thanks in advance
  • peterska2
    • Oct 2003
    • 3.7.x

Follow the server move instructions to make a complete copy of your forum at a new location.

Make sure that your test copy is secured with a htaccess file to ensure that it is not publicly accessible. On some servers this can be done easily via the hosting control panel and the security options.

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

That should be fine, make sure the cookie domain is not set, and make sure you password protect the forum folder, as your test site should not be publicly accessable.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...