Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnmont
    • Mar 2006

File upload issues

As the title suggests, I'm having file upload issues. It seems to be related to file size, but I can't figure it out. Smallish files work fine -- no issues. When I upload a file larger than 8.9MB, the newattachments.php returns a white frame after the upload. I'm storing files on the filesystem.

Here's what I've troubleshooted so far:

1. Upload diagnostics : no errors reported uploading a 10.5MB file

2. newattachments.php : no problem uploading a file until I pass 8.9MB or so.

3. php.ini settings:

max_execution_time 300
    max_input_time 300
    upload_max_filesize 50M
    memory_limit 32M

4. Using an upload.php script I've copied from another server -- all is fine. In other words, file upload doesn't seem to be a problem.

5. Tried several browsers -- same issue

6. turned off all plugins -- same issue

Any suggestions?
  • peterska2
    • Oct 2003
    • 3.7.x

In addition to the vB settings, the allowed size of the attachments depends on the PHP and MySQL configuration. You may need to check and change the upload size for both PHP and for MySQL. Note, you'll need to have root access to the server to do this (or have your host do it.) Make these changes to php.ini

upload_max_filesize = xM

..and my.cnf (or my.ini for Windows systems)

set-variable=max_allowed_packet=xM

Change it to the size ('x') you want in Megabytes. Restart the webserver and MySQL after making these changes.

Note: You may also need to increase the max_execution_time and max_input_time variables in php.ini.

Comment

• johnmont
      • Mar 2006

I have done these items already (please see my post) -- the 300 second timeout is well within the time frame of uploading.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the my.cnf setting should only impact me if I am saving files in the database.

And in upload diagnostics -- I have no problem uploading the file I have problems with via newattachment.php -- not sure if this helps in trouble shooting

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

One way or another, this is a server issue. You may need to increase those values further.

Also you might want to take a look at this for other settings that affect file uploads:

Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• johnmont
          • Mar 2006

Thanks Steve -- I had a look at those posts last week and they were helpful early on. I've spent about a week on and off trying to figure this out.

The thing that gets me is that since my own php upload script works with files that are 25MB -- I can't figure out whats going on with vbulletin. I'm having issues discovering why it fails on files via vbulletin. I was sure it was a plugin thing -- but that wasn't it.

Maybe I've modified some files somewhere....

To help me out -- what is the difference between the diagnostics upload and the newattachments one?

Also -- am I correct about the my.conf issue? That it only impacts database storage of files?
          Last edited by johnmont; Wed 13 Jun '07, 9:21am. Reason: add question

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

Originally posted by johnmont
            To help me out -- what is the difference between the diagnostics upload and the newattachments one?
            Mostly the attachment function is actually adding the file to the database or server and a specific, whereas the diagnostics isn't. Other than that I don't know.

Originally posted by johnmont
            Also -- am I correct about the my.conf issue? That it only impacts database storage of files?
            No, it also determines the size of the packets allowed during the file transfer process. What is your max_allowed_packet set to?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• johnmont
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Steve Machol
              What is your max_allowed_packet set to?
              I have this:

Code:
              mysql> show variables like 'max%' ;
              +----------------------------+----------------------+
              | Variable_name              | Value                |
              +----------------------------+----------------------+
              | max_allowed_packet         | 26213376             |
              That seems to be well within the 10MB range....

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

Then it may be something else. As I said try increasing the other values until you no longer have this problem.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...