X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • goha
    • Mar 2004

Skins inheritance

I have several skins on my forum
    I have VBDefault skin as a parent (Call it VBMain), and all my skins are inherited from VB Default.
    I am running 3.5 and I am going to upgrade to 3.6

What should I do to upgrade the skin, which is parent for all my skins (VBMain), up to VBDefault 3.6?

I hope that once it will be upgraded all inherited scrits will be utoupdated too, as they dont have other changes but CSS and style vars.

Please adivse
    GoHa.Ru
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

You will most likely need to revert all custom templates then redo your changes. If the template is modified in the child style, then changes to the parent style won't show. You will need to revert those templates.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• goha
      • Mar 2004

So: If template is modified in new version, I'll need either one revert and redo that changes or use Source Compare tool and redo latest changes in modified templates. Hopefully not all of them will be changed.

This is clear and this is not a question.

QUESTION: How do I update this parent skill (I mean this VB Main skin from which all my skins are inherited)? Will it be auto updated during the installation of latest version? Or do I need to do something manually?

With another words: Currntly I have vbdefult skin, wich is modified by me. Will this skin autoupdated during 3.6 isntallation? If not, how can It be done?

And QUESTION2:

Lets say I have Custom Style, wich is a child of some skin. Can I change a parent of this Custom skin? just say: "Now you are inherited from other parent skin"... Is that possible?
      Last edited by goha; Mon 14 May '07, 12:10pm.
      GoHa.Ru

Comment

• goha
        • Mar 2004

Please advise.
        GoHa.Ru

Comment

• goha
          • Mar 2004

Please help.
          GoHa.Ru

Comment

• peterska2
            • Oct 2003
            • 3.7.x

1. You will need to update or revert any edited templates. vBulletin will not update these for you.

2. Yes. Select Edit Style from the dropdown list for the style you wish to change in the style manager and assign it to the new parent.

Comment

• goha
              • Mar 2004

I uderstood this. But my quesiton is different.

I have Vbulletin 3 style as a default style. Will all unchanged templates in this style autoupgrade during newer VB installation?

How VB know, that some styles should be autoupgraded? Or styles just hold actual differences from default tempalte and does not contain actual template code if it is unchanged?

Will temaplte history prevent template from being auto upgraded?
              GoHa.Ru

Comment

• peterska2
                • Oct 2003
                • 3.7.x

If the style has not been modified it will be updated. Only modified templates are not automatically updated.

If the template name is red (or yellow if it is a child style) then it will not be auto updated.

Comment

• goha
                  • Mar 2004

Thanks, upgraded from 3.5.4 to 3.6.7.1

Cannot say that it was easy, but after 48 hours of work sucessfully moved to latest. Main pain was large table alteration, made it manually, took several hours. Forum was back online in 5-6 hours, and then I spent more time on hacks/plugins and especially for skins. I have 1 parent for all my skins, but even then, there were about 20++ templates which requred manual resolve.
                  GoHa.Ru

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...