• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikefitz
    • Aug 2005
    • 2.0.x

mod_security and forbidden errors

Hello,

My server guy installed mod_security and we started having problems with some functions like registering and posting a reply. I saw an article that addressed this here http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167121, but according to my server guy, the fix disables mod_security and leaves the forum open to possible attack. He said that the reason mod_security is blocking those files is because they have problems.

So, it seems like a catch-22. He can loosen up the mod_security rules to not interfere with the specific files that are having issues, but then those are the ones that leave a security hole. Is this correct? It doesn't seem likely that a mature product like vbulletin would have this issue, but then they just released 3.6.5 to deal with security, so maybe there are other issues.

Can anyone comment?

Thanks
    Mike
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Those files do not have a problem, and disabling mod_Security in your forum wont leave it open for any known attacks.

Comment

• rnmcd
      • Aug 2004
      • 3.5.x

Below are the instructions to disabling mod_security. I have a question.
      Below for Apache users you can use an htaccess file and add a specific rule to disable mod_security.

Make or edit your forum .htaccess file and add the following code

Code:

Code:
      <IfModule mod_security.c>
       SecFilterEngine Off 
      SecFilterScanPOST Off
      </IfModule>
      Note, place this file in your main forum directory.
      I found an .htaccess file in my /public_html/ directory but not in my main forum directory which is /public_html/forum

Do I need to create another .htaccess file for my main forum directory or should there already be one there...or can I use the .htaccess file that is in my /public_html/ directory.

Thanks.

Comment

• Marco van Herwaarden
        • Nov 2004
        • 3.8.x

You can place a new one in your forum directory.
        Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
        Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

• rnmcd
          • Aug 2004
          • 3.5.x

Before I received Marco's reply I just experimented by adding the code to the .htaccess file that was in my /public_html/ directory.

Then I tried PMing again (this is what originally caused the 406 error) and it worked.

Do you think it was just by coincidence that it worked or did putting the code in the /public_html/ directory (instead of my forum directory) do it?

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

It filters downwards.

Comment