X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vidmarc
    • Jan 2004
    • 3.7.x

Max User Connection error

I've had vBulletin running for several years now, but only recently (the past few weeks) I've been inundated with these error messages. These vBulletin error messages are flooding my inbox. I have asked the hosting company to increase the number of connections but they will not do this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Database error in vBulletin :

mysql_connect(): User dbo67339750 has already more than 'max_user_connections' active connections
    /homepages/34/d66110281/htdocs/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 279

MySQL Error :
    Error Number :
    Date : Saturday, June 17th 2006 @ 01:13:15 PM
    Script : http://www.anchorbay.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=72072
    Referrer :
    IP Address : 66.249.66.98
    Username :
    Classname : vb_database
    Here's the reply from the hosting company (One & One, Professional package):
    Question Is there a limit on concurrent MySQL server connections from a Linux Shared package?

Answer Yes, there is a limit. Not more than 18 connections are allowed at the same time.

You can also check this settings in the mysql session as well.

mysql> SHOW VARIABLES;
    and should see a long output like this:

| max_user_connections

| max_tmp_tables | 32
    | transaction_alloc_block_size
    || transaction_prealloc_size |
    || version |
    4.0.25-standard-log
    || version_comment | Official MySQL
    RPM
    |
    | version_compile_os |
    pc-linux-gnu
    || wait_timeout | 3

Below is the link for detailed explanation of each settings:

Have a nice day.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    and:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unfortunately, we cannot increase the number of database connections.
    Please check some notes on our Frequently Asked Questions article regarding this issue for your possible workaround.

What are the differences between MSSEE and MSDE?

MSSEE is an improvement on MSDE (Microsoft SQL Desktop Engine).

The changes are:

* MSSEE removes the maximum 4 simultaneous database connections limits
    that was present in MSDE.

* The maximum database size has been increased to 4GB.

* A GUI now helps to administrate the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition. The old MSDE only provided a limited webbased user interface or 3rd party products with extra costs.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.
    I have no idea what their replies mean to be honest.

So... what can I do to fix this? It's causing no end of headaches for me.
    Last edited by vidmarc; Sat 17 Jun '06, 5:07am.
    Cult Movie Forums
  • Colin F
    • May 2004

Check that this line in your config.php file:
    $config['MasterServer']['usepconnect'] = 0;

doesn't have a 1 at the end. If so, change it to a 0.

If you already have a 0 (and thus persistent connections are turned off), you'll either have to convince your host to set this limit higher, or move to a more flexible host.
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• vidmarc
      • Jan 2004
      • 3.7.x

It has always been set to '0' as default. What I don't understand is why the errors only started a few weeks ago - why the sudden change?

Can you explain exactly what it means? It can't mean the number of users on the forum, surely?
      Cult Movie Forums

Comment

• Colin F
        • May 2004

It's the number of connections from your database user.
        If you're using the same database user on a different script, this could cause it.
        It might also be because you're getting more and more visitors or traffic.
        Best Regards
        Colin Frei

Comment

• vidmarc
          • Jan 2004
          • 3.7.x

I'm just using everything as default - I haven't made any changes.

The forums were certainly way busier last year and we had none of these error messages back then. I really don't know what to do about it.
          Cult Movie Forums

Comment

• Colin F
            • May 2004

This is a server problem, and there's really nothing we can do about it.
            Talk with your host and see if there's really nothing he can do.
            Best Regards
            Colin Frei

Comment

• vidmarc
              • Jan 2004
              • 3.7.x

I already have, as per my post above. Looks like I'll have to move to a different hosting company.
              Cult Movie Forums

Comment

• vidmarc
                • Jan 2004
                • 3.7.x

An update!

My service provider now tells me that this problem may be caused by the database being full:
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
                "One possible reason this could be happening, is the fact that your current database size is over limit. You currently have 123544KB of space being used, but the maximum alloted is 102400KB)."
                They have suggested clearing out older posts, or this one:
                "You could also try setting up a new database to help with some of the query load. This might take some custom scripting, but if you could save posts to 2 or more databases instead of just one, that would help with both the connection problems and the space. You may need to contact the creators of the software to see if that would be possible,
                but I don't see why it wouldn't be since its just for storing information."

So my question is, is it possible to set up additional database to split the load? We have an additional 4 databases which are not being used, so this would seem like a logical suggestion. Is this possible?
                Cult Movie Forums

Comment

• Zachery
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Jul 2002

Nope, its not vBulletin can only make use of one database. Your host only limits you to 100mb of storage for your databases? How much storage space do you have?

Comment

• vidmarc
                    • Jan 2004
                    • 3.7.x

We are currently using only one database, but we have another 4 we can use if it's possible to configure. Each are 100MB max.
                    Cult Movie Forums

Comment

• Zachery
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Jul 2002

I'd highly suggest finding a new host asap, its not fair for your web host to limit your mysql storage to anything other than your total storage. You will not be able to adequately grow on that account.

Comment

• vidmarc
                        • Jan 2004
                        • 3.7.x

I think you're misunderstanding me - the host has suggested I use the additional 4 databases which are available to me, which would increase my storage from 100MB to 500MB.

All I need to know is if it's possible to do this with vBulletin.
                        Cult Movie Forums

Comment

• Zachery
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Jul 2002

As I originally stated, no its not, vBulletin can only use one database.

Comment

• Marco van Herwaarden
                            • Nov 2004
                            • 3.8.x

The answers before that this is a server issue, and not a vBulletin issue are correct.

You seem to have 2 issues now:
                            Database reached the maximum size allowed:
                            I see no error message posted by you that would indicate that the current database size is causing problems.

If your host don't want to increase the 100Mb limit (or you can switch to a higher plan), then there is not much you can do, You can not split a vBulletin forum over more then 1 database. Your only option would be to clean or upgrade.

If you also store tables from other software then standard vBulletin you could maybe move either vBulletin or this other product to second database.

If you have many attachments or avatars, and store them in the database, you could also move these to the filesystem if you have enough filespace left. This could reduce the size of the database.

Maximum Users connected
                            You could first try to set pconnect to 1 in your config.php, but i doubt this will help. Don't forget to put back if it doesn't work.

There is a work around for this, but only if your host allow you to create more then 1 MySQL user with access to the database.

....will update this post soon with instructions for this workaround.....
                            EDIT: I can not find the post i was looking for. If you can confirm that your host allow you to create multiple MySQL users for a single database, then i will write out the solution for you.

PS It is very strange that your host don't want to change the settings, but is linking you to workarounds. That kinda defeat the purpose of the limit.
                            Last edited by Marco van Herwaarden; Sat 17 Jun '06, 12:55pm.
                            Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
                            Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

• vidmarc
                              • Jan 2004
                              • 3.7.x

OK, I ahve emailed the support team to find out if i can habve more than one user.

Also, I am unsure about how to move attachments out of the database. What should I specify here?

path/to/your/attachment/directory

I'm a little confused.
                              Cult Movie Forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...