• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue-inc
    • Mar 2006
    • 4.0.x

My first upgrade!

Hi there guys,

When the newer version of vBulletin comes out of Beta and it is fully released, I am going to apply it to my forum. But the sad thing is, I have many plugins and hacks installed. Please don't tell me il have to install them again

As of this new software, il need to know how to upgrade my forums without losing any of my Modification(s) which are my files located in my root directory. I was going to submit a support ticket, but I want multiple view's on how to do this.

Hmm, do vBulletin do an upgrade service? If they do, I might pay for one as I don't want to lose any of my data.

Sorry for being so brief guys, I have to go know. But il be here to reply hopefully.
    Armored Vehicles . My Blog . Obama 2012 .
  • Colin F
    • May 2004

You'll have to reinstall code modifications.
    Plugins/Products may work, depending on if the underlying code of that feature has changed or not. If it has, the plugin author might need to update the plugin first.

We do offer a professional upgrade service, but it doesn't include hacks/plugins.
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• Blue-inc
      • Mar 2006
      • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Colin F
      You'll have to reinstall code modifications.
      Plugins/Products may work, depending on if the underlying code of that feature has changed or not. If it has, the plugin author might need to update the plugin first.

We do offer a professional upgrade service, but it doesn't include hacks/plugins.
      So will 'all' the Files of the modifications installed be gone, once I upgrade my forum. And every thing would be a clean install except for post ands members?

Will I lose any skins? I have the skins edited to work with the modifications I have installed. Will I lose that?

Comment

• Colin F
        • May 2004

No, skins will not be touched.
        Best Regards
        Colin Frei

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

Although upgrading will not overwrite custom templates, you should nonetheless seriously consider reverting any updated templates to get the full advantage of all bug fixes and improvements. Some templates make require reverting. These are always listed in the new version announcement.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Blue-inc
            • Mar 2006
            • 4.0.x

Okay, I guess I could revert them.

Um, is there a documentation on upgrading? as I have no clue on how to do it.

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

Lots.

Comment

• Blue-inc
                • Mar 2006
                • 4.0.x

Upgrading vBulletin FAQ From time to time the vBulletin team will release new vBulletin updates, be it major or minor it is generally best to upgrade as soon as possible, regardless of any hacks you have installed. We tend to get a bunch of the same questions over and over so I am going to list them all out and explain them

I like that Manual better, it's straight to the point. Anyways, il try doing a upgrade by installing vB 3.0.12 and then upgrading it to the latest vB available , on my test server of course. Hopefully il do this succesfully.

Comment

• 11karen11
                  • Oct 2005

I need to do my first upgrade too, I didn't install it orginally myself (wimped out and paid for the prof. installation) is it a complex task? I can follow simple instructions but if there's a big chance that I'll stuff it up I'd rather pay to have it done for me.

Thanks

Comment

• Colin F
                    • May 2004

If you don't have any code modifications, plugins, or complex template changes then it's easy
                    Best Regards
                    Colin Frei

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...