X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LB1UE
    • Jan 2006
    • 3.5.x

My forum is hacked

index.php is deleted and a new index.html file was redirecting to a Turkish group. the whole forum section is also opened with 777 permissions.

---

I need a quick-guide for optimizing the security.
    Thank you in advance.
  • Boxy
    • Oct 2002

Without knowing how you are being hacked it's difficult to stop it. For instance if your server is being compromised then there is nothing in vB that will stop a hacker from taking over.

Here's some things you can do to increase the level of security for your forums:

1. Do not install any hacks
    2. Password protect your Admin and Mod CPs: http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/htaccess.shtml
    3. Make sure the getadmin.php (vB2) or tools.php (vB3) file is NOWHERE on your website
    4. If you have phpMyAdmin make sure it's password protected.
    5. Inform your host of these hack attempts and ask them to check the logs to see when your account
    was accessed.
    6. Also ask your host to change the login password for your account
    7. Change all your Admin and Mod passwords.

Comment

• LB1UE
      • Jan 2006
      • 3.5.x

Thank you for your reply.
      I will set the new permissions and reset all the passwords.
      I'm not sure how they did it, but they only redirected the forum, not the portal. Perhaps a way to trick the owner to think the rest is ok.

Although, why delete the index.php file ... it should be sufficient to just rename it ?

Silly hackers.

Comment

• Floris
        • Dec 2001

Instead of exploiting vBulletin and getting full access, etc. They probably got in otherwise and just auto replaced all the html/php/asp files and put down a default index.html -the hack was probably automated too.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...