Limiting new thread creation for new users.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • calgarypuck
    • Sep 2005
    • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

Limiting new thread creation for new users.

I would like to limit the ability of new people to post new threads in a specific forum.

I assume I would have to take actions similar to what's described here:

However how do I set this up in my case? I want all new registrants to be able to post into existing threads in the main forum (and start new threads in other forums), just limit the new thread ability in this one forum.

I could create a group with the correct permissions and setup the promotion, however do I use the built in registered users group to be the limited permission group and create a new group with full permissions, or the other way around?

If it's the first way, how will existing members be handled? Will they automatically get promoted when the promotion rule is created? Or do I have to manually move them (moving existing users who don't meet the promotion criteria in the process, which I don't want).

If it's the other way, how do I get new users to go into the lower permission group by default after registering rather than going into the full permission group? And is there a way to "demote" people who don't meet the criteria?

Just want to know the best way to approach it with an existing user base. Don't want to mess it up on a live system. Thanks in advance.
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

Restrict the Registered Users group so they cannot create new threads in the main forum. Create the new promotion group so that they can create new threads. These permissions will need to be set in your:

Admin CP -> Forums & Moderators -> Forum Permissions

Then setup the promotion as described in that thread.

Any existing members that qualify for the promotion will be promoted. New users are already put into the Registered Users group by default.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...