• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dknelson99
    • Jul 2004
    • 3.8.x

Daylight Savings Time problem

Here is the problem. Any solutions?

In the date and time options section of the user CP, if I select "automatically detect DST settings" my times on this board didn't advance last Sunday. Is that because the board is set up to think that IN doesn't follow DST? (I know we haven't been for years, but this year now we have it again.) If I select "DST corrections always on" then it advances. But with that setting will it go back to standard time next fall, or does that fix it an hour ahead no matter what?

• Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

Try refreshing the page or visiting the User CP page. I find that usually prompts the automatic DST correction.

Comment

• firewire
      • May 2000
      • 3.6.x

I really have to say that the whole DST handling is very unconvenient. It is a constant source of irritation for my users.

After I have set auto DST-recognition fixed for all newly regged users (see here) and existing users by SQL query, there are still members compaining about the wrong time being displayed.
      They have got their correct time zone entered in their profile, so all I can tell them is a fuzzy "try entering the user CP, maybe that'll help, you know, vBulletin uses some obscure methods to detect your time settings even I don't know".

I'd really vote for being able to disable the whole "automatic dst/time conversion" setting and using a fixed, server-wide time instead.

Comment

• SNW
        • Feb 2005

Agreed. I think more board owners would be happy to be able to turn the time zone options off and stick with server time. I have a board that has users starting at 9 years old. They shouldn't be bothered with these options, in order to be able to see the right time of an event in the calendar.

Comment

• pufftenticle
          • Jun 2005

more / differents suggestions...

i have tried the usercp suggestion, several times. and i have tried the refresh, several times. any other suggestions ?

Comment

• Jake Bunce
            • Dec 2000
            • 3.6.x

Are you running the default style? There is footer code that triggers the correction.

Comment

• pufftenticle
              • Jun 2005

yessir, on this particular board it is plain jane. no plugins or mods or anything. it is a very small board with maybe 100 users when it maxes out, but the calendar was very important. so the time issue is messin with the calendar (so to speak). it shows to be in the wrong time zone so all of the events on the calendar are about a half a day ahead of when they are actually happening. other than that everything is working perfecto.

i did add some more nav links and a header to the top (header_template) but left everything else alone.

here is the site:

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                • Dec 2000
                • 3.6.x

I just registered on your forum and the time was 1 hour off. I visited the User CP and it automatically corrected.

It seems to be working fine.

Comment

• pufftenticle
                  • Jun 2005

i checked the site. when not logged in, the time is in fact off by one hour.

but then i logged in, and it was off by 5 hours. i visited the control panel, clicked back, and the time is still off by 5 hours.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    Former Customer Support Manager
                    • Jul 2000

vBulletin gets its time from the server. You need to set the timezone and DST settings in the Admin CP to match the timezone of the server your forums are running on. Then each user needs to set their local timezones/DST in the User CP. If you do this correctly and the server time is correct, then the correct times will show.
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Sonics
                      • May 2006
                      • 3.5.x

Turn off timezones?

That is crystal clear, Steve. But is there an easy way to stop using custom times and have all users time to be the server time?
                      My board users are very young and cannot be bothered with timezones. They have no idea...

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                        • Dec 2000
                        • 3.6.x

The timezone option is always present in user profiles, but the users are not required to change it from the default.

Comment

• pufftenticle
                          • Jun 2005

fixed for me....

okay, i understand. thanks jake and steve. i did that, and it worked (of course). sorry i can't help with the other issue.... thanks again

Comment

• trana
                            • Apr 2005

Edit: Resolved.
                            Last edited by trana; Sun 29 Oct '06, 1:55pm.

Comment

• zagman76
                              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by trana
                              Edit: Resolved.
                              any chance you can post what you did to resolve it?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...