Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ipscone
    • Jul 2002

Custom Avatar not quite working

I'm using vBulletin 3.5.1 and I just noticed something that isn't working right.

I can change my avatar by selecting one of the ones that are part of vBulletin. I can even Browse to an avatar on my PC and upload it, as a custom avatar. However, I can't use the "Enter Avatar URL" and get the avatar to show up. I DO see an entry in the Avatar table, for the URL avatar, with the new timestamp, but I get a broken image.

And before everyone says the URL must be wrong, it is not. I can put the URL into my browser and the image shows up. I then CUT the location and put it into this field, but it's always broken. I have tried different avatars and different locations. The avatar is the same one that uploads from my PC just fine.

The URL is good but the avatar shows as a broken link. Where is the avatar actually stored? Which table? I have checked CustomAvatar and there is an entry for both types of upload but the link is just broken on the one that uses a URL (good URL). Here are the two filesizes for the two cases of custom avatars.

Enter Avatar URL:
    Filesize: 210

Upload an Avatar From Your Computer:
    Filesize: 3882

Any idea what the problem is?

UPDATE

The above problem was on version 3.5.1. I also have 3.5.3 on another domain and it doesn't work either (for the URL avatar). However, when I try to use the URL on it, I get the following error "
    Imageinfo Failed:" I'm not sure if this is on the upload or after the upload, and during the display of the avatar. I think the latter. The problem appears to be in displaying it rather than uploading it.

The "Custom Avatar" radio box is checked, for both cases. AND
    For both versions the Filedata BLOB is 210 for the URL avatar and 3.8K for the uploaded from PC avatar. It's just that the avatar shows as a broken image.

My web host has PHP Thread Safety disabled

I have also tried the .htaccess route by adding the single line:
    php_value allow_url_fopen 1, to the file but that didn't help. I assume this .htaccess goes into the forums folder?

Any clues?
    Last edited by ipscone; Mon 10 Apr '06, 6:46am.
  • bohica
    • Feb 2006

I have the same problem. Except that I (nor my members) cannot even upload avatars anymore. It was working fine until 3 days ago.

This is the message I get when using the "enter URL" option: Warning: getimagesize: Read error! in /includes/class_image.php on line 1593

This is the message I get when trying to upload an avatar:
    • Upload of file failed.
    Last edited by bohica; Mon 10 Apr '06, 6:50am.

Comment

• ipscone
      • Jul 2002

Your problem isn't the same as my problem. It's considered bad protocol to try and hijack a thread for your problem. Your symptoms aren't helpful to my problem.

You really should start your own thread, for your problem, instead of hijacking mine.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

Ipscone, try changing back to GD from ImageMagick. If you still have a problem enable phpinfo in the Admin CP, then provide the URL to your forums. This may help us troubleshoot this problem.

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Server Settings and Optimization Options -> Public phpinfo() Display Enabled
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• ipscone
          • Jul 2002

I had an issue with Photopost (photo album software) that requires ImageMagix. I know that sw doesn't like GD for some operations. I set that in the Photopost CP. I don't know if that is related to changing this for vBulletin or not. I can live with this problem, if I have to, but I don't want to break PhotoPost by requiring GD, unless they are seperate controls.

Oh wait! I just checked and under "Image Settings" it already has GD. So, I think I'm ok there. GD is selected and for GD 2+ version.

I have enabled PHP Info for a couple of hours.

forum: http://www.msdsite.com/forums/
          Last edited by ipscone; Mon 10 Apr '06, 12:14pm.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

Well the Imageinfo Failed error is from ImageMagick which is why I suggested using GD. Also we cannot prtovide official support for forums with modified code or active add-ons.

What is the current status after changing to GD?
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• ipscone
              • Jul 2002

AH! I understand. I have another forum, and it might be set to ImageMagick. But both forums have the problem.

I have verified with my web host that this isn't any server issue they can identify. They have the same software on their site and can use the URL on theirs. So, it appears to be something with vBulletin that I don't have set right.

Are there any CP settings that can affect the ability to use URL for images on avatars?
              Last edited by ipscone; Mon 10 Apr '06, 1:07pm.

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

Does the same happen with GD?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...