• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • attroll
    • Jan 2003
    • 4.2.X

2 questions

I have two questions.

1. Is there a way of doing a search of the user notes? I know you can search messages but how do I do a search of the user notes. I am looking for someone and I can not remember what there user name was but I remember something I wrote in there user notes.

2. When doing a search of the forums can you do it so that it will search for a line of text instead of a word? Lets say I want to search for "tony the monkey". If I type that line of text in the search bar then it is going to pull up a search for "tony". I want it to list everything with those three words only not individually.
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

1) There is no search feature for user notes. You can always view the records in the usernote table with a program like phpmyadmin. You can also run searches on string fields in that program.

2) Use the boolean search option:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Search Type

Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager -> Edit Usergroup -> Can Use Boolean Search

Then you can enter this in the search field:

Code:
    "tony the monkey"

Comment

• attroll
      • Jan 2003
      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
      1) There is no search feature for user notes. You can always view the records in the usernote table with a program like phpmyadmin. You can also run searches on string fields in that program.

2) Use the boolean search option:

Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager -> Edit Usergroup -> Can Use Boolean Search

Then you can enter this in the search field:

Code:
      "tony the monkey"
      1. I knew this could be done but I was hoping there would be an easier way. Maybe this should be something to look into on the next update. It would be nice to be able to search users notes easier.

2. I did this and it does not work. I have my Bollean Search set to YES. But when I search for the phrase "tony the monkey" is brings up "everything with "tony", "the", "monkey" in it. I did a search for this and I know that phrase is in a post and it brought up a list of everything thread with the word three words in it. But I only want it to bring up the threads with "tony the monkey" as a phrase.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
        • Dec 2000
        • 3.6.x

2) It should work if you select the boolean option on the search form... make sure you are doing this. Note that it will automatically use boolean if that is the only search option available to your group. Also make sure you are using the full search form - http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/search.php - and not one of the quick forms.

Comment

• attroll
          • Jan 2003
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
          2) It should work if you select the boolean option on the search form... make sure you are doing this. Note that it will automatically use boolean if that is the only search option available to your group. Also make sure you are using the full search form - http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/search.php - and not one of the quick forms.
          Nope it does not work. Let me give you an example from this site right here on vbulletin.com

I did a search for "make sure you are doing this". It popped up with three pages of results.

I click on the first result. and the only thing that was highlighted in red was the word "make". There was no text with the whole phrase of "make sure you are doing this".

I don't want the work "make" to be in my results. I want the whole phrase "make sure you are doing this" in my results.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

Works fine for me. I searched for:

"make sure you are doing this"

And the first post it found was yours:

I have two questions. 1. Is there a way of doing a search of the user notes? I know you can search messages but how do I do a search of the user notes. I am looking for someone and I can not remember what there user name was but I remember something I wrote in there user notes. 2. When doing a search of the forums can you

In fact it found 4 posts - all with that exact phrase.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• attroll
              • Jan 2003
              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Steve Machol
              Works fine for me. I searched for:

"make sure you are doing this"

And the first post it found was yours:

I have two questions. 1. Is there a way of doing a search of the user notes? I know you can search messages but how do I do a search of the user notes. I am looking for someone and I can not remember what there user name was but I remember something I wrote in there user notes. 2. When doing a search of the forums can you

In fact it found 4 posts - all with that exact phrase.
              Ok I narrowed it down I forgot to do the " marks in the front and the end of the phrase in the seach on this site.

But I still can not get it working on my site.

I noticed in the usergroup it said this:

Can Use Natural Language Search: Yes No
              (Only applies if Fulltext searching is enabled)

Can Use Boolean Search: Yes No
              (Only applies if Fulltext searching is enabled)

Where do I make sure full text searching is enabled? I don't remember seeing that anywhere. I looked through the vBulletin Options and could not find it. Maybe this is why it is not working on my site?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

This requires Fulltext. If you are running MySQL4 you can change to fulltext searching here:

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• attroll
                  • Jan 2003
                  • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                  This requires Fulltext. If you are running MySQL4 you can change to fulltext searching here:

Yes I am running MySQL4.

I do not see this in my Admincp though

I see nothing that says Search Type. Maybe I am just overloolking it but I just don't see it.

Comment

• attroll
                    • Jan 2003
                    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by attroll
                    Yes I am running MySQL4.

I do not see this in my Admincp though

I see nothing that says Search Type. Maybe I am just overloolking it but I just don't see it.
                    Dah, I found it.

Comment

• attroll
                      • Jan 2003
                      • 4.2.X

It says this:

Your forum is currently using the Fulltext search engine.

I have myself in the Admin user group and that group is set to "Can Use Boolean Search".

So it looks like it is set up correctly. But yet it is not doing the search correctly. I am give you a link to my site and you can try it if you like.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                        • Jul 2000

Next step - upgrade to 3.5.4 and remove any hacks or plugins you have installed.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• attroll
                          • Jan 2003
                          • 4.2.X

Gee how did I know you were going to say that. I just rebult my search index and I think I have it, This will be the last question on this thread I promise or at least until I upgrade.

It is only picking up the first two words in the phrase. How can I make it pick up the third and fourth words in the phrase? Is there a character size that I need to increase in my seetings?

Thank you for all your help and being patient with me on this.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                            • Jul 2000

The Fulltext option does not use the search index so rebuilding that should not have made any difference. I know this works fine in an unhacked 3.5.4 forum.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• feldon23
                              • Nov 2001
                              • 3.7.x

With Fulltext, you should be able to delete your search index, cutting the size of your forum database in half.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...