X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stoneyreef
    • Mar 2006

Server software package recommendations

Let's start with red hat enterprise 3

What versions of pHp, Mysql, apache etc etc do you recommend?

I am upgrading my server and I might as well optimize the software versions and software for vbulletin since this is the only thing that will run on it.

Please give me a full and complete list with version numbers of the software to run this beast!
  • Colin F
    • May 2004

Our recommended versions are.
    PHP: 4.4.2
    MySQL: 4.1.16

Not sure about Apache, but I'd generally say version 2, one older than the newest.
    I'll see if I can get any more exact information for you
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• john2k
      • Jul 2000

Why does vB recommend those versions and not the latest PHP 5.1.2 / MySQL 5.0.19 ? Would vB not work properly (or optimally) on 5.1.2 / 5.0.19 ?
      ...john2k...

Comment

• HoopsFan
        • Mar 2006

My hosting/VPS has mySQL 4.0.25 and PHP 4.4.1. I was going to request upgrading mySQL to 5.x (5.0.19, if they have it). Hopefully there're no issues with that that anyone knows of?

I was reading here : http://www.vbulletin.com/features.php and it says :

Minimum
        PHP 4.3.3
        MySQL 4.0.16

Recommended
        PHP 4.4.2 or 5.1.2 or later
        MySQL 5.0.19 or later

Comment

• john2k
          • Jul 2000

I was looking around for that info but did not see it. Thanks for the link. That answers part of the question... we know vB will work on PHP 5.1.2 & MySQL 5.0.19.

Besides that, why not recommend the latest? Does PHP 4.4.2 & MySQL 4.1.16 simply run vB better?
          ...john2k...

Comment

• Colin F
            • May 2004

First off, the recommondations aren't updated every time a new version is released
            And secondly, we generally recommend the second-latest version of any software, unless there are known issues with it.
            Best Regards
            Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• john2k
              • Jul 2000

I honestly am not trying to be critical of the recommendation and apologize if it was taken that way. I'm setting up a new server and am deciding what software I will use based on compatibility & performance.

So my understanding is that the latest versions of PHP (5.1.2) and MySQL (5.0.19) are both compatible with vBulletin but the actual vB "recommended" versions are PHP 4.4.2 and MySQL 4.1.18 as they are both currently the second-latest versions (as of the date of this post).

Is there a specific reason that vB generally recommends the second-latest versions of PHP & MySQL as opposed to the latest?

Is it just a matter of not "trusting" the latest versions?

What about vB? No pun intended, is 3.0.13 or 3.5.4 the generally recommended version?

Thanks for your help & guidance.
              ...john2k...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...