X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimr451
    • Feb 2006

Running cron entries...from cron?

Hi all,

I'm setting up a private, probably low traffic board. I want to make sure the scheduled tasks run normally, to send out daily/ weekly digests, reminders, etc.

My concern is that relying on the built-in cron method, which requires traffic on a regular basis, isn't going to cut it.

I'd also like to avoid setting up a cron to "hit" the actual page (using wget, curl, etc) a few times per hour, since that will generate fake hits, that the customer might mis-interpret as real traffic.

So....can I run the cron.php, or some other process from cron every hour, just to make sure the tasks run?

Thanks,

-Jim
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

The vB Scheduled Task system relies on someone accessing the forums to trigger these tasks. Doing what you want would require setting up cron jobs on the server.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• jimr451
      • Feb 2006

Yes, I realize that's what it *would* require. I guess my question is *can* I do it safely, and are there any examples entries?

For instance, can I run "cron.php" from cron, - will it work or is that asking for trouble?

Thanks,

-Jim

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

Honestly I don't know if simply running cron.php is enough. This gets into programming questions which I can't answer.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...