Exclude specific forums from 'New Post' searches...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2ndCz
    • Feb 2006
    • 3.5.x

Exclude specific forums from 'New Post' searches...

How do I prevent specific forums from being scanned when a person uses the 'New Posts' search feature? Is this possible globally? Like could I set some variable to exclude specific forums from 'new post' searches for all members of the board?

I'm getting some negative feedback about an RSS forum that is automatically posted to (by a bot) on a very regular basis. People would like this forum to be excluded when they use 'new posts' so that they can view the new posts on the board without all the spam from that forum.

Thanks!

EDIT: I tried setting the "Index in Search Engine" to off, under forum settings. But it didn't seem to work. I was making test posts in the forum that I want to exclude, and it was still showing up in 'new posts'. Is this because I was using my admin account? Or am I totally off base here, and thinking the index in search engine option does one thing, when it really does another?
    Last edited by 2ndCz; Wed 22 Feb '06, 4:04am.
    Second Citizen: Where online virtual worlds collide. (MMOGs)
    www.secondcitizen.com | forums.secondcitizen.com
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Try logging in as a regular user and see if you have the same issue.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• feldon23
      • Nov 2001
      • 3.7.x

add &exclude=1,2,3 changing the number(s) to whichever forum or forums you want to exclude from the New Posts link/button.

Comment

• 2ndCz
        • Feb 2006
        • 3.5.x

@Steve, It still didn't work when I logged in as a normal users.

@feldon23, Thanks that did it! Now I just have to figure out how to get it to stop including those forums when you get the: 'sorry no new posts, click here to check for the last 24 hours'. As it is currenly, New Posts (member) & Today's Posts (guests) no longer include those forums!

But if there are no new posts and they click to check the past 24 hours, it does include them. I'm sure it's as simple as adding that piece of code again, I'm just not sure where. The New Posts/Todays Posts was easy enough, straight out of the navbar template. But I'm not sure how to find that link.

Comment

• feldon23
          • Nov 2001
          • 3.7.x

You'd have to customize that error message. It's either a phrase or a template or both.

Comment

• 2ndCz
            • Feb 2006
            • 3.5.x

Thanks again feldon.

Did some searching around, and it turns out it is a phrase. searchnoresults_getnew <- if anyone is curious.

Problem solved!

Comment

• malljack
              • Jan 2004
              • 3.0.0 Release Candidate 2

Originally posted by 2ndCz
              Thanks again feldon.

Did some searching around, and it turns out it is a phrase. searchnoresults_getnew <- if anyone is curious.

Problem solved!
              Hi guys - just a little confused. Do you add "&exclude=1,2,3" to the searchnoresults_getnew phrase and if so, where exactly?

Comment

• peterska2
                • Oct 2003
                • 3.7.x

It is not done in the phrase but in the navbar template. Search in your navbar template for search.php?do=getnew and add &exclude=1,2,3 after this without any spaces.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...