Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jawinn
    • Dec 2005

Email Notification Problem

How do I enable instant email notification for my forum users? When users subscribe to thread and enable instant email notification, nothing happens. When the thread they are subscribed to is updated they do not receive an email. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
  • Marco van Herwaarden
    • Nov 2004
    • 3.8.x

Are any of the other mails being sent from your board?
    Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
    Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

• jawinn
      • Dec 2005

Not that I'm aware of. Is there something I need to setup in the admincp to enable automated emails?

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

Try turning off the mail queue system:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Email Options -> Use Mailqueue System -> No

Then try the vB email functions. If it still doesn't work, then try the email diagnostics in the Admin CP and report back the results:

Admin CP -> Imports & Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Email
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• jawinn
          • Dec 2005

I set the mailqueue to "no" and still no email.

I ran the diagnostics and received an email. What next?

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

vB uses PHP's mail() function for all its email and uses the SMTP server specified in php.ini. If PHP and the mail server are configured correctly then email will work.

Since the vB email is working, you will need to view the mail logs on the server to see what happened to those emails that don't work. Once vB sends it to PHP it's in the hands of the server. If you are on a shared server you may need to ask your host to look through the logs for you.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• ambumann
              • May 2004
              • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

We've been getting reports from users experiencing this problem as well, but when I use my dummy profile and set it up for instant notification I get the mails immediatly.

Edit: Received the test mails when running diagnostics. Tested with and without the -f parameter.
              Last edited by ambumann; Sun 18 Jun '06, 12:58pm.

Comment

• Marco van Herwaarden
                • Nov 2004
                • 3.8.x

Can you find any similarities between the users reporting this. Maybe all at the same mail provider?
                Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
                Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment