Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 87accordlxi
    • Aug 2002

New forum URL, attachments not working

We recently changed our forum location from http://oursite.com to http://oursite.com/forum. Therefore, the attachment links that have been posted on the board in the past are looking in the wrong place for the images. I tried updating one link and insert the "/forum" in there, but it still doesn't work. Is there any way I can restore the old attachments that have already been posted?
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

With posted attachments do you mean with attachments added to a post through the attachment manager, or with people remote linking to existing attachments by either pasting the full url or use the [attach] bbcode?

Are attachments stored in the database or in the file system?

Did you try rebuilding attachments from the update counters (admincp > maintenance > update counters)?

What is the error you are getting when trying to view an attachment?

Did you edit the admincp>vboptions>vboptions> site url details to point to the new location?

Comment

• 87accordlxi
      • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Floris
      With posted attachments do you mean with attachments added to a post through the attachment manager, or with people remote linking to existing attachments by either pasting the full url or use the [attach] bbcode?
      Attachments added to a post with the attachment manager.

Are attachments stored in the database or in the file system?
      File system.

Did you try rebuilding attachments from the update counters (admincp > maintenance > update counters)?
      I've rebuilt the attachment thumbs and for every one it went through, it said "Error: Attachment Missing"

What is the error you are getting when trying to view an attachment?
      Warning: fopen(/home2/geez/www/attachments/2/4/232.attach): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /attachment.php on line 168

See, I don't think it recognizes the /forum URL change.

ALSO, when I currently try to upload an attachment, it gives this error:

Could not create file system directory to hold your attachment.

Did you edit the admincp>vboptions>vboptions> site url details to point to the new location?
      Yes.

Comment

• Floris
        • Dec 2001

It sounds like vBulletin has an option to point to the attachment path. And perhaps you didn't update this. I have no experience with attachments in the file system though.

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

Does this directory exist?

/home2/geez/www/attachments/2/4/
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• 87accordlxi
            • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Steve Machol
            Does this directory exist?

/home2/geez/www/attachments/2/4/
            No, but that does give me the idea of moving the attachments back over to the old location so that there will be a /home2/geez/www/attachments/2/4/ folder and the proper files will be in it. I'll try that.

*edit*
            It worked! The attachments are back, but in threads where attachments were wrapped with IMG tags to display them in-line, we have to go and manually edit every link to include the /forum. But there's no other way to get around that.
            Last edited by 87accordlxi; Thu 2 Feb '06, 10:35am.

Comment

• xrayhead
              • Nov 2002

I have the same problem as this (But I have same URL before and after server move) I have checked and double checked with a working test site I have and all is the same (IE admin options). I have just updated from 3.0 to 3.5.3 as well and when I try to run the rebuild thumbnails i get the message

Building Attachment Thumbnails
              If you receive a fatal error or if the process seems to hang, you will need to delete the last attachment listed on the screen then refresh this window.

Processing: Attachment : (jpg) [366] (Post : [4767] ) Error: Attachment Missing
              Processing: Attachment : (jpg) [369] (Post : [4791] ) Error: Attachment Missing
              Processing: Attachment : (gif) [375] (Post : [4932] ) Error: Attachment Missing
              Processing: Attachment : (jpg) [378] (Post : [4964] ) Error: Attachment Missing

This is the properties of "(jpg) [378]" above
              http://www.mysite.com/vboard/attachment.php?attachmentid=378&d=1057005907

My attachment directory is located at http://www.mysite.com/vboard/attachments

Also when I try to upload an attachment, it starts the upload and halfway through the window go's to the default IE page "This page can not be displayed".

I have also CHMOD the attachment dir and all sub dir’s to 777

This upgrade has taked me a week with all the problems I have had and I’m at the point of the wife divorcing me.

Please help!

Comment

• xrayhead
                • Nov 2002

Ok if anyone else has this problem I just located the issue. Go to Admincp -> Attachments --> attachment Storage Type and then make sure you Forum Path is correct. As I had moved servers mine was wrong and needed changing!

Xray

Comment

• xrayhead
                  • Nov 2002

Ok..... This sucks, when I change it to the new directory it gives me the following messege;

Code:
                  We attempted to write a test file to [B]/var/www/vhosts/mysite.com/httpdocs/vboard/attachments[/B], but we were unsuccessful. Please verify that the web server has write/delete permissions for this path.
                  And yes I did CHMOD ALL dir's ect to 777. I even went into the control pannel in Plesk to check the permissions!!

I can even see the test foulder thet vb creates via my FTP program.

This is to much....
                  Last edited by xrayhead; Sat 11 Feb '06, 2:16pm.

Comment

• xrayhead
                    • Nov 2002

Ok I just tryed to do this with my test site and I think I am well shagged now, it says..... Your Server has PHP's SAVE_MODE enabled. You can not move attachments to files.....bla..bla...bla...

Now I have my new site upgraded with all my files stuck in a no exsistant file location.

Any ideas..

Comment

• Floris
                      • Dec 2001

If your attachments are in one folder, and you move your forum..
                      couldn't you just move your forum/attachments to /attachmetns (old location) ?

Comment

• xrayhead
                        • Nov 2002

If your attachments are in one folder, and you move your forum..
                        couldn't you just move your forum/attachments to /attachmetns (old location) ?
                        No, I moved servers and the server path needed changing, but save mode was "ON"......

I went into SSH as ROOT and changed the php.ini to "save mode = off" and now it will allow me to change the settings (in the attachment manager).

I now have all my images back!!

Xray

I hope this post helps others, as I spent 5 hours trying to fix this one!!

Comment