Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yellow_spider
    • Aug 2005

Some basic advice needed

hi. not quite sure where to post this all (sorry)

well i am still new to this and still at a testing stage while i await (in hope) of getting a database backup from my previous host (invisionfree)

ive installed the forum no problems and had a play... me and my staff are at the moment just trying to decide on layouts and colours etc so no great rush but anyway if someone could help me with the following questions it would be appreciated.

sorry if i havent explained it too well , im fine with most pc things but anything web based im only just starting to grasp.

1. till i change the dns over to point at our new space (its just a ip address i use at the moment as we are still playing and testing) , ive installed the forum in a "forum" directory inside my space (as per the install instructions)... ive seen various options (using php and also html) to redirect the home page (ie www.example.com) to the forum page... whats best ? we only need the forum nothing else. so no front extra page like a portal or anything.

2. in addtion to 1. above , would i be better to simply move all the forum data just straight to the public_html folder instead ? is there a security risk or problem with this ? ie i mean instead of having to put in www.example.com/forum it would all live in my public_html folder so you could type in just www.example.com to get the forum page. any issues with having a forum installed straight into the public_html folder ?

3. also in my public_html folder i have a "cgi-bin" folder containing about 6 files , what are these ? do i need them ? should i remove them or just leave them ? the only reason for having hosting is for vbulletin.

4. finally do i need to modify anything (file permissions etc) with chmod to prevent access ? i havent changed anything just uploaded things.

5. thanks for reading. any advice or comments are appreciated.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

1. You can place an .htaccess file in your public_html directory with this content:

Redirect permanent /index.html http://www.yoursite.com/forums/

2. This is up to you. It won't make any difference security wise.

3. Those have nothing to do with vB. If you don't know what these are for, then you should contact your host.

4. No permissions changes are needed.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• yellow_spider
      • Aug 2005

thanks

il post on my hosts support forum to see what the other files are for , i have seen them (or similiar) on a lot of websites though.

Comment