Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Analog-x
    • Nov 2005

VB v3.5.1 Attachment Size Limit.

I'm a newbie to VB but not a newbie to Web Based Bulletins, so If I'm here writing this it means I've gone through the manual, search other posts and done a google search and still didnt find the right answer I'm looking for here goes.

I purchased and setup VB v3.5.1 for my wife so that she can run her Forums, were slowly getting things up and running the way we want them, and were running into little bumps here and there which I can usualy find an answer in these forums. Ok enough of the background stuff here is the question.

Wife tried to attach a .jpg file in a sticky thread to show users how they should use external image hosting servers if they want and got an error that the maximum allowed file size for .jpg is 39.1kb So I gave it a try and sure enough this is what we see when we try to attach files when posting a thread.
    -------------- This is what we get when trying to attach -----------
    Attachment Key
    Filetype Max Filesize Max Width Max Height
    bmp 39.1 KB 1024 768
    doc 39.1 KB - -
    gif 39.1 KB 1024 768
    jpe 39.1 KB 1024 768
    jpeg 39.1 KB 1024 768
    jpg 39.1 KB 1024 768
    pdf 39.1 KB - -
    png 39.1 KB 1024 768
    psd 39.1 KB - -
    txt 39.1 KB - -
    zip 39.1 KB
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

So I went into Amin CP -> Attachments -> Extensions & Sizes and this is what I see.

Edit Attachment Types
    Extension Maximum Filesize Max Width Max Height Enabled Thumb New Win Controls
    bmp 20000 620 280 Yes No No [Edit] [Delete]
    doc 20000 Yes No No [Edit] [Delete]
    gif 20000 620 280 Yes No No [Edit] [Delete]
    jpe 20000 620 280 Yes No No [Edit] [Delete]
    jpeg 20000 620 280 Yes No No [Edit] [Delete]
    jpg 100000 None None Yes No No [Edit] [Delete]
    pdf 20000 Yes No No [Edit] [Delete]
    png 20000 620 280 Yes No No [Edit] [Delete]
    psd 20000 None None Yes No No [Edit] [Delete]
    txt 20000 Yes No No [Edit] [Delete]
    zip 100000 Yes No No [Edit] [Delete]

as you can see for .jpg type I should be able to upload at least 100K and no size limit.

I tired
    - vBulletin Options -> Messages Forum Attachments no luck
    - UserGroups -> Space (in bytes) that a user's total attachment usage may consume for administrator is 4294967295 bytes which is what 4MB?

Where is this 39.1 KB Coming from? and why is it if the .jpg size is set to 100KB + none for Size restrictions its still coming up as 39.1KB and 1024 x 768 as the limit.

What am I missing here?

PS: when I try the Manage Attachment button in this thread it even looks different than what I see.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

I have never encountered this problem before.

Try editing and saving that extension in your Admin CP. Also try to reproduce the problem on a default set of PHP files and a default style. Also disable any custom plugins (if you have any).

Comment

• davewinfield
      • Oct 2005
      • 3.5.x

I have the same problem...

Comment

• Jake Bunce
        • Dec 2000
        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by davewinfield
        I have the same problem...
        Default files and style? No plugins or hacks?

Comment

• Analog-x
          • Nov 2005

No hacks everything default.

I can show you a screen shot of any settings you wish just let me know.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
            • Dec 2000
            • 3.6.x

Create a support ticket. Include your forum and server info so we can try uploading the original files and creating a new default style. We will look into this.

Comment

• vonedaddy
              • Dec 2003
              • 3.0.0 Beta 3

Any update on this? it is happening to me from a fresh install.

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

Create a support ticket. Include your forum and server info so we can try uploading the original files and creating a new default style. We will look into this.

Comment

• Maplewoods
                  • Aug 2005
                  • 3.0.0 Release Candidate 3

To many people have the same problem

I have the same problem.

I have seen the replies here by the VB team that it may because of any hacks or any other custom changes made to the forum.

Questions is this:

Of course anything is possible and it COULD BE because of custom user "changes" or any other reason....

However since so many people are all having the SAME PROBLEM, no one yet came back to say that it has been resolved (via their own doing or via help from VB support).

Anyone find a way to fix this yet?

Comment

• Zachery
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Jul 2002

Comment

• Maplewoods
                      • Aug 2005
                      • 3.0.0 Release Candidate 3

Originally posted by Zachery
                      I did create a support ticket about 2 weeks ago but whenever vb support is not sure what the problem is the first thing they want to do is for the forum admin, to undo any hacks/changes and u/l overwrite changed files etc.

Since many different people, here, are having the same identical problem, it's unlikely to be because of any hacks.

Anyway, I understand that VB is Right in not wanting to support a forum that has Hacks but while it may be the FIRST thing that vb wants me to do, (when vb can't figure out the cause of the problem) but it is the LAST thing that I want to do - to have to redo everything for any changes which may have been made.

Since many other vb forums have the exact same problem, (as is evident from many posts in this thread) I want to FIRST see, if anyone else, ever got it resolved by "Removing Hacks" or removing "Changed Styles" or by any other way.
                      Last edited by Maplewoods; Fri 16 Dec '05, 11:34am.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                        Former Customer Support Manager
                        • Jul 2000

Set up a fresh test forum with all the original vB files and templates. Then if you can reproduce this problem on that forum, let us know. If not, then this will show that the problem is related to one or more changes you made.
                        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                          • Dec 2000
                          • 3.6.x

Maplewoods, I sympathize with you. But even without removing hacks, we still need to be able to work with your forum since we haven't been able to reproduce the problem on a fresh install.

Also, I have seen several common problems that are caused by popular hacks, so at this point we can't rule out anything.

Comment

• flow_
                            • Dec 2005
                            • 3.5.x

Issue Solved

I had the same problem here, on two different installations of vBulletin 3.5.2 (Windows and Linux). The default max filesize was 39.1 Kb, not reflecting the values set in Admin CP.

It is easily solved by going into Amin CP -> Attachments -> Extensions & Sizes, clicking on [Edit] of any of the file types available and clicking on Update.

After doing this, the Manage Attachments form shows the correct values (the ones set in Admin CP).

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                              • Dec 2000
                              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by flow_
                              It is easily solved by going into Amin CP -> Attachments -> Extensions & Sizes, clicking on [Edit] of any of the file types available and clicking on Update.
                              I posted that previously:

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
                              I have never encountered this problem before.

Try editing and saving that extension in your Admin CP. Also try to reproduce the problem on a default set of PHP files and a default style. Also disable any custom plugins (if you have any).

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...