Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nparikh
    • Aug 2002

Very frequent errors creating new threads

I've upgraded to vBulletin 3.5.0; I've updated all my templates and my wait_timeout variable is set to a value that should be enough for anything vBulletin is doing on a regular basis.

When posting new threads (especially in one forum; there don't appear to be as constant problems with all the other forums), newthread.php very frequently times out and gives a "lost connection" error. With this one forum, it's not always intermittent -- users are unable to post new threads for extended periods of time (though sometimes the problem goes away). Since all the threads here suggest looking at wait_timeout or fixing the templates, I'm not sure what's left to look at.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Last edited by nparikh; Wed 2 Nov '05, 10:11am.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

What is your wait_timeout set to?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• nparikh
      • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      What is your wait_timeout set to?
      120. Why would any of these tasks require more than 2 minutes of actual processing?

Also, the timeouts only occur with certain tasks, not others. Editing posts and replying to existing threads seem to be considerably more reliable than creating new threads.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

I don't know but the default is 28800. I would change this to the default at least.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• nparikh
          • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          I don't know but the default is 28800. I would change this to the default at least.
          The problem still occurs with 28800, for what it's worth.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

Did you restart the server after making this change?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• nparikh
              • Aug 2002

I made the change interactively with SET GLOBAL. Checking MySQL variables in vB indicates that it's taken note of the change, as it should.

ADDED: I should also note that these timeout problems are almost exclusively with creating new threads (newthread) and deleting posts/threads (inlinemod), but with those two things, timeouts are extremely common. Changing wait_timeout to 28800 hasn't even reduced the frequency of timeouts.
              Last edited by nparikh; Wed 2 Nov '05, 1:18pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...