Question regarding 'Emailing Users' from AdminCP in vB 3.5?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • biggjoe
    • Jul 2005

Question regarding 'Emailing Users' from AdminCP in vB 3.5?

Hello Everyone!

I've read the vB 3.5 manual and experimented with the options in the AdminCP regarding the option 'Users -> Send Email to Users'.

I want to make sure that I'm not missing anything and if certain functions aren't available, maybe there are some hacks/mods that can do this?

It looks like I can easily send out a broadcast message/announcement from the 'Email Users' option in the AdminCP.

[Q1]

Is there some kind of textbox/field where I can easily copy/past in various email addresses?

As you can probably tell, I would like to use the 'Email Users' function as a way to send out an email, simulating a Mailing List...to email addresses that are not only existing for registered members...but even email addresses that are totally outside of vB.

Is this possible?

[Q2]

Is there some type of existing hack/mod that can do this, or maybe add this functionality to the vB AdminCP?

Thanks,

Joe
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Q1. There is no function to do this. This requires modifying the code. We cannot officially support code modifications or forums running modified code, however can try searching or asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.

Q2. I've never heard of a hack to do this. Check over at www.vbulletin.org.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• biggjoe
      • Jul 2005

Hey Steve!

Thanks for responding! I will do as you suggest and checkout www.vbulletin.org.

One other question;

Right now, the way I have vB installed, the directory is actually called 'forums' so people can access it this way:

If I want to change the directory name to lets say 'myforums' as in:

Is it as simple as just changing the name in the directory installed on our server? Or do I need to make other mods as in the config file?

Thanks,

Joe

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

Just rename the directory and update the URL to your forums in the Admin CP and Members Area.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• biggjoe
          • Jul 2005

Steve;

I saw where I need to make the change in the AdminCP, but I'm not quite sure about the Members area.

Also, don't I need to change the actual path in the config.php file as well?

Joe

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

If you didn't set this line in config.php, then you don't need to change anything:

$config['Misc']['forumpath'] = '';

In the Members Area, click on 'Edit License'.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• biggjoe
              • Jul 2005

Steve, thank you very much!

Joe

Comment

• biggjoe
                • Jul 2005

Thanks again Steve!

J.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

You're welcome.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• vakvak
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                    If you didn't set this line in config.php, then you don't need to change anything:

$config['Misc']['forumpath'] = '';

In the Members Area, click on 'Edit License'.
                    example:

$config['Misc']['forumpath'] = 'Licence Number <removed>'; ok?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

No, not ok.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• David Copeland
                        • May 2000

Originally posted by biggjoe
                        [Q1]
                        As you can probably tell, I would like to use the 'Email Users' function as a way to send out an email, simulating a Mailing List...to email addresses that are not only existing for registered members...but even email addresses that are totally outside of vB.

Is this possible?
                        Yes, you can use the CP as a custom broadcast email program.

Do this:

1) Create a New User Group, and title it such (perhaps "Big List 1"

2) Then go to the User tab, and choose Add New User

3) Then copy and paste the email address in the following three (3) boxes:

User Name
                        Password
                        Email

Example:
                        User Name: john @yahoo.com
                        Password: john @yahoo.com
                        Email: john @yahoo.com
                        4) Then choose for the new user the User Group "Big List 1', and Save.

5) After you have a good amount of off-forum email addresses saved as new users, then go back to the Send Email to Users tab and email your broadcast message ONLY to that specific User Group.

Tip: In the Send Email to Users , type in a different From email address than your forum email address. It is best to have another domain name and email set up for returning emails and bounces.

Tip 2: Monitor the bounces and remove them from your Forum User Group if they turn out to be dead.

Tip 3: Make sure you have a disclaimer at the bottom of your email message on how the person can remove their emails from future emails. This will insure the integrity of your name.server so as not to get on a banned list.

Tip 4: I understand that you can export all of your forum emails to a standalone email program if you choose to do so later.

David

DAVID COPELAND
                        Licensed VB Holder Since 2000
                        Celebrating 22 Years with VB

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...