Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marco van Herwaarden
    • Nov 2004
    • 3.8.x

Sounds to me more like a problem of your webserver config, then a vB problem.

You could try opening the attachment in a seperate window, view the page source, and paste that here.
    Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
    Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

• Sinbad
      • Jan 2003

Contacted the host who says everything is configured OK, if I open in a different window and view source it just shows the same rubbish.

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
        Former vBulletin Developer
        • May 2000
        • 1.1.x

Can you please provide an url to one of these attachments? Please make sure that guests have permission to view attachments in the forum.

Comment

• Sinbad
          • Jan 2003

You can try here there is a test zip and rar file that show the problem.

User test
          Pass test123123

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
            • May 2000
            • 1.1.x

I'm not seeing a mime-type being sent with this attachment. I suggest submitting a support ticket and asking for it to be assigned to me. I'll need a forums admin account and a ftp account.

I see that attachments are being gzip'd which is what is causing your problem. Your server must have ini_set() disabled which is why gzip is remaining active during attachments.

Comment

• Sinbad
              • Jan 2003

Hi

I asked the server re ini_set and here are the replies

I have been checking around for a while and I don't see any where if we have disabled "ini_set()". The question still remains un-answered, if the forum was working fine before vBulletin update then why it does not work now while nothing has been changed on the server.

I went through PHP.INI file and have made sure that "ini_set()" function is not being disabled any where. Then I try downloading zip files using the test account but still the problem exist.

Regards.
              10/29/2005 7:37:21 AM
              jamil Further, if function ini_set() was disabled on the server, the PHP_INFO page should look like this:

See under "Disabled Function", ini_set is listed here.

In our case, see PHP_INFO page: http://www.digitechg.co.uk/forum/info.php and you will see no function is disabled on the server.

I am still some more research on this.

Thanks.
              10/29/2005 7:51:03 AM
              jamil Once again this example will prove that function ini_set() is not disabled on the server.

1. Change this line "@ini_set('zlib.output_compression', 'Off');" in this file "/home/digitech/public_html/forum/attachment.php" as below:

@ini_set('zlib.output_compression', 'On');

to enabled zlib.output_compression just for testing

2. Now if you try to download any zipped or rar file, you will get this error:

Fatal error: ini_set(): Cannot use both zlib.output_compression and output_handler together!! in Unknown on line 0

This small test proves that function "ini_set()" is not disabled and is working on your site.

You may want to let vBulletin support know that this function is not disabled on the server.

Regards.

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                • May 2000
                • 1.1.x

Please open a support ticket.

Comment

• Sinbad
                  • Jan 2003

Support Ticket now setup with all details as requested, I asked for it to be assigned to you.

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                    • May 2000
                    • 1.1.x

Your server has content_handler = ob_gzhandler set in php.ini. This results in all pages being gzipped, which breaks attachments. It would be better for you to use zlib.output_compression but I've put a workaround in your attachment.php and into CVS. Please verify that it is working for you.

Comment

• Sinbad
                      • Jan 2003

Hi Freddie

This is working fine now, do I need to contact the host to request the changes you suggested or will this mess up what you have done?

Thanks once more for all your help.

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                        • May 2000
                        • 1.1.x

It doesn't matter now since I've implemented a workaround.

Comment

• Sinbad
                          • Jan 2003

I only ask the question as I am not sure now if I need to keep certain modified php files for future updates. I mean if I upload standard files then your workaround will be overwritten.

I was really asking if the host could modify the settings would this mess up your workaround? I would rather have the correct settings on the server and use the standard VB php files.

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                            • May 2000
                            • 1.1.x

Your host can choose to use zlib.output_compression and your attachments will continue to work. I also implemented the change into 3.5.1 so you'll be find with the current configuration if you upgrade. The only modified file is attachment.php

Comment

• D-Tools
                              • Feb 2006
                              • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Freddie Bingham
                              It doesn't matter now since I've implemented a workaround.
                              Freddy, I have been experiecing the same problem on my message board, could you share the workaround to this problem?

I am on the latest version of VB and have tried all suggestions here with no success. My forums are on their own dedicated box with nothing else on there.

If I create folders outside of VB with zip files or any kind of attachment, they work fine. This problem only occurs when users download attachments directly from a VB thread/post.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                                Former Customer Support Manager
                                • Jul 2000

This thread is almost 2 years old. Please start a new thread in the appropriate forum wih all the relevant details.
                                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...