X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keyser Söze
    • Jan 2003

SMTP setup

i own my own server, running redhat enterprise, newest version

i had a friend that is a pro install OpenSSL, and make sur eit was setup right

i really cannot see what else i am missing here to get my email function switched to SMTP, heres what the setings are set to in the admincp

host - mail.domain.com
    port 25 (default)

If you've enabled SMTP mail and your server requires authentication, please specify your username here.

this i was a bit unsure about, i assume that is like , make and enter a mail login and password, so i just used my sites contact email address and pasword

If you've enabled SMTP mail and your server requires a TLS connection, please set this to yes. This requires OpenSSL support to be compiled into PHP.

this i was unsure about as well, but if i set it to no, then it takes ages to run a test in diag. and returns an error, and if i set it to yes, i still get an error but its instant

OpenSSL was installed

Originally posted by error
    The following errors were outputted by PHP when attempting to send mail:

Warning: fsockopen(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages: error:1408F10B:SSL routines:func(143):reason(267) in /includes/class_mail.php on line 536

Warning: fsockopen(): php_stream_sock_ssl_activate_with_method: SSL handshake/connection failed in /includes/class_mail.php on line 536

Warning: fsockopen(): failed to activate SSL mode 2 in /includes/class_mail.php on line 536

Warning: Unable to connect to SMTP server in /includes/class_mail.php on line 519
  • Marco van Herwaarden
    • Nov 2004
    • 3.8.x

What is the reason for wanting to use SMTP on a linux server?
    Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
    Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

• Keyser Söze
      • Jan 2003

too many members have free-based email accounts, which block all php generated mail

which means notifications, password recovery, verify emails, all dont work

Comment

• Marco van Herwaarden
        • Nov 2004
        • 3.8.x

You will not solve that by changing to SMTP i think (but i am no expert on this).

Changing mail text, and some identificating info would have a better chance i think to avoid spam filters.
        Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
        Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

• Milez
          • Jan 2002

Tls

We have the same issue. When we enable TLS when using SMTP we get the fsockopen() errors. Could it be tripping up on the secure certificate?

Our SMTP server is tested to work with several clients and scripts. I am noticing that the mail requiements of vb are quite high on a busy board. A mail sent every second really impcts performance.

Comment

• Keyser Söze
            • Jan 2003

can anyone tell me what this error means, and how to fix it

Warning: Unexpected response from SMTP server during TO address transmission in /includes/class_mail.php on line 519

Originally posted by MarcoH64
            You will not solve that by changing to SMTP i think (but i am no expert on this).

Changing mail text, and some identificating info would have a better chance i think to avoid spam filters.
            well, i use MSN mail for i think this site and vb.org and i get mail from them, when someone replies to a thread of mine

so any suggestions on how it is setup here would be great, i just want the forums to work to their full potential

Comment

• Steve Machol
              Former Customer Support Manager
              • Jul 2000

You'd have to look at the SMTP server logs to know exactly what happened.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...